Chapter 15

THE SEIZURE OF THE MOB HIDEOUT was a lot easier than many had imagined it would be. Lisa and Tony, however, did their CI a favor by giving them the heads up to make sure that none of the big wigs were there so only the small peons got busted when the tactical units arrived to take the place by storm. The office in question where all the illegal medical treatments were being conducted was located on the third floor of a building that was owned by the crime syndicate in question. The first floor was home to a local pub while the second and fourth were apartments housed by people who had no idea what was going on or who their landlords were. Once the building was completely secure, the agents took control of the third floor and started to look around. Agent Jackson was the first to start looking around to take an inventory of the all the machines that were present in the lab while Tony and Bruce started to interview the staff working there when they arrived. The questions were fast and furious; they wanted to know if any of the nurses had been around when Xavier was the doctor on duty there. Unfortunately, none of them had been around when Carter was the man in charge. Turns out when he went on the run, the entire staff washed their hands clean of this place afraid just this would happen, and they would have to answer to the authorities. Lisa was put in charge of talking with whatever members of the organization were there. They talked to the staff to find out if there was anything left behind by Carter, and if so where was it currently being stored. The only person who wasn't being very co-operative with the agents was the current head of the operation, the new doctor. A former physician who was stripped of his license over a year ago, he wasn't willing to talk to anyone unless there were promises made. Tony realized what kind of issues they were dealing with, so he decided to have a little chat with the good doctor in private. Tony walked into one of the examination rooms where the ex-doc was being held and took a seat.

     "I hear you're not in a very talkative mood today." Tony started.

     "I'm not talking to anyone till I can cut a deal." The man snapped back at him.

     "I see." Tony said with a huff, "Is there any particular reason why you want to cut a deal? Are you currently breaking any laws you need assistance with? Oh wait, I get it! You're practicing medicine without a license, right?"

     "I don't want to go to jail!" he screamed at him, scared of the options.

     "You won't have to." Tony said, "I'm not here for you."

     "Then who are you here for?" the doctor asked.

     "The man who held this position before you did," Tony answered.

     "What did he do?" the doctor inquired.

     "He's wanted for murders and lots of them." Tony answered as he opened a file and slapped it onto the table, "This is Xavier Carter, the newest face to grace the FBI ten most wanted list. This is the man I'm after. If you give me the information I want, I'm going to walk out that door and pretend I never met you."

     "You can do that?" the man asked, somewhat shocked by the idea.

     "My superiors want this man behind bars bad," Tony informed him, "And they're willing to leave the whistle in their pocket for a while and let me get away with a lot. Give me something to work with here, and it just might be enough to get them all to look the other way."

     Tony sat there and waited for the ex-doc to fold like cheap suit.

     "I never met him," the doctor replied.

     "I kind of figured," Tony said, "Considering you were hired after he ran."

     "He did leave behind a lot of stuff that I think might help you out." The doctor said as he took out a key chain out his pocket and proceeded to remove a single key from the chain.