Chapter 20

IT HAD TAKEN SAMMY AND XAVIER close to ten hours to drive to Atlanta, but they didn't enter the city. They had chosen to meet with June at a restaurant just outside of town so they wouldn't enter the city limits, which in turn would save them a lot of trouble. It also was one of Xavier's favorite chicken shacks, so he made sure someone went in and got him an order to go. After parking right beside each other, everyone got out of their cars to greet one another. Xavier gave the women who got out of the other car a big hug and they seemed genuinely happy to see each other. After a few seconds he turned and made a motion to his new friend.

     "June," Xavier started, "I'd like you meet a new friend of mine. This is Sammy."

     "Hi there Sammy, I'm June." The woman came over and gave her a hug as well. She took a step back and was very blunt with her next question. "How much do you know about what's going on?"

     "Until a few days ago, I had in inoperable brain tumor in my head." Sammy said with a very nonchalant grin on her face. She was hoping that would let June know that she was aware of the serum and what effect it had.

     "Had being the key word here people." Xavier added with a sly grin on his face. He had the look of a cat that eaten the canary. June seemed to want to say something, but her legs seemed to give out and she almost fell to the ground. Xavier caught her and leaned her up against one of the cars. Once she was able to get her footing back, he turned to face Sammy.

     "Can you go in and get that order I was telling you about?" Xavier asked, "I think Dr. Zaun and I need a moment to speak alone."

     "Alright, I can do that." Sammy said as she took the money from Carter and went into the chicken shack to make the takeout order for him. Once she was gone, June was able to take a few deep breaths and finally say something to Xavier.

     "A brain tumor?" June repeated, "How big was it?"

     "It was big," Xavier answered, "They gave her about a year to live."

     "And you used the serum to take care of it?" she asked.

     "Yeah, it was really amazing." Xavier said with a cocky grin on his face, "It was really touch and go for a while, but the MRI confirmed it's not there anymore."

     "Completely?" June asked as if she could hardly believe it.

     "Not a trace," Xavier confirmed, "As if someone zapped it out with a laser beam."

     "My gaud, Carter." June said, as she still seemed to be in utter shock. "Is there really anything this serum can't do?"

     "We're about to find out," Xavier replied, "This was made to help the immune system combat disease. I'm can't guarantee if it will work against man-made poisons."

     "I understand," June said, as she realized what she was asking for.

     Carter leaned up against the car beside her.

     "Look," He started, "I'm willing to help as much as I can, but I can't promise a positive result. This is a whole new territory that I never considered venturing into."

     "I get it," June replied, "Just the fact you're here despite the pressure you're against means a lot to me. Are you sure you want to go with me? I can take the serum to Florida and administer it myself."

     "No. That's not an option." Xavier said without hesitation. "I've got to be there for every administration just in case there are complications. I'm the only one who has worked with this up close. You'll need me there if anything goes south."