Chapter 26

XAVIER AND JUNE HAD MANAGED TO escape a few close calls and make it to the elevator. One agent had tried to catch them on the second floor, but Xavier had used a pistol that he had taken from a secret service agent and pretended to take June hostage and used her as a cover to work his way to an elevator. Due to issues with backup generator the hospital was unable to turn their elevator off and that allowed Xavier and June to make it to the garage where their car was waiting. They had a good laugh in the elevator because the whole hostage thing gave June ample cover because she can say Xavier forced her to help him. That would be enough to get her off the hook for helping him get away. As they exited the elevator, Xavier thought they had at least made it to the car but once they started to walk over, they had a surprise waiting for them. Right behind their car in the parking lot was that agent who had tried to stop them on the fourth floor, with his weapon drawn, and pointed right at them.

     "Both of you, hands on your heads!" the agent shouted at them, as he pointed the weapon at Xavier specifically. "This is your only warning; drop the gun!"

     Xavier was never a good shot, so trying to out shoot an FBI agent who likely hit the range every day was probably not the best idea. Xavier slowly put the gun on the ground, and kicked it halfway to the agent, which forced him to move away from his cover behind the car.

     This is when June took over and started to plead with the agent.

     "Oh, my gaud, thank you!" She cried out, "This man has held me captive for over a week!"

     June made an Oscar worthy performance to paint herself as the victim who had just been rescued. She was working the same hostage deal they used on the second floor to get away, which was a good decision considering how well it worked on the other guy.

     "Everything is going to be all right, Ma'am," The agent replied as he never took his eyes off Xavier, "Get behind me and this will be all over very soon."

     June did as she was instructed and walked behind the agent, but what he didn't notice is that once she was out of his sight she dug into her purse and pulled something out. Inside that purse was a pretty nasty taser that she didn't hesitate to use on the agent who had foolishly turned his back on her. June hit him in the back with the taser, sending a massive jolt of electricity through his body for a full ten seconds, which knocked him out completely. After the agent hit the ground, June took a moment to taser him again for five seconds just to make sure he wouldn't get back up.

     "He was right," June called out to Xavier, "It was all over pretty soon."

     Xavier walked over to and knelt beside the agent to check on him.

     "Nice move," Xavier said, as he checked the agent's vitals. "He'll be fine."

     "That's swell but how the hell are we going to get out of here?" June asked.

     Xavier dug into the agent's pocket and pulled out his credentials.

     "We came in as doctors," Xavier explained, "But we're going to leave as the FBI."

     They both got into the car, and pulled out as gently as they could, avoiding the agent who was still lying on the ground. June drove the car quickly up to the exit of the parking garage and stopped where many armed guards were waiting. They came over to the car and looking inside to see that June was the only one in the car. One of the guards spoke to her first.

     "In a hurry to leave, Miss?" the guard asked.

     "I've got things to do.," June said, as she whipped out the agent's credentials. She flashed them quickly on purpose and had her thumb over the face of the picture hoping the badge and the letters would be enough to convince them. Chances are they'd seen so many of them that they didn't bother to look too hard anymore.