Chapter 21

TONY D AND BRUCE HAD BEEN in Florida for well over a few hours and traffic from the airport was brutal and a tad insane. Tony was about to lose his temper but kept his composure when he realized they had finally reached the exit that would take them to the hospital where the Senator was being treated for his unknown ailment. While their deployment was not voluntary Tony could understand his boss' desire to have his own people on the scene instead of some random suits from the local branch. Since he and Bruce had easy access to a quick jet and were already out on the field, it was logical for them to make a quick detour to appease the director. In the end this would put Tony in his boss' good books, which never hurt if he needed a huge favor from him down the road should things get sticky when trying to run someone down. He was tempted to use that favor to get his director to put some extra pressure down on those big pharm companies to give up what they knew about Carter. If there was anyone who could shake the tree and get them to spill the beans about what Carter was working on, it was his boss. This is why Tony was willing to do the grunt work when requested as it all worked out to help him in the end. He was well aware that if he scratched the director's back, then Tony would get his back scratched when he needed it most.

     As they pulled into the gate that led to the parking lot, they stopped to speak with the guards. Tony whipped out a badge as Bruce did the same.

     "Special Agent Deacon and Agent Kern, FBI." Tony started, "We're here to look around, ask some questions and do a little investigating. You know... typical federal agent stuff. Our director should have called ahead to give you all a heads up that we were coming."

     The guard went back to the book and had the other guard make a call to validate their claims. Less than a minute later, he returned to the car.

     "Go on in, Agent Deacon," he replied. "Good luck with your investigation."

     "Thank you," Tony said with a wave as he drove past the checkpoint and into the parking garage below inside the hospital.

     Tony drove around the parking lot for a good three minutes until he finally found a spot that he was happy with. He could tell that Bruce was confused by his selection, so he pointed to the gate.

     "This spot has easy access to the only tunnel out," Tony observed, "If we need to make a run or just block off the exit, then this is the best parking space to do make it happen."

     Bruce didn't realize that view and nodded before getting out of the car. As they were both walking towards the elevators, Tony noticed something.

     "There's a car with Georgia plates," Tony said, pointing to the car.

     "You do realize the state is next door, right?" Bruce replied sarcastically.

     "I get it," Tony said, as he understood. "That's like saying 'hey, there's a New Jersey plate in New York'. It's more common down here, isn't it?"

     Bruce gave Tony a stern look.

     "What isn't common," Bruce continued, "Is that this vehicle is parked in a handicapped spot with no tags or stickers."

     "So, what do you want to do?" Tony asked, "Give him a ticket?"

     "Well," Bruce said, as he was thinking about it.

     "Let it go," Tony interrupted him, "We're not here to play meter maid. We're here because some a-hole too a direct shot at one of our political leaders. An attack on a man like that is an attack on our democracy, and our very way of life. I admire your skills of observation but get your head back in the game. Remember why we're here!"