Chapter Eight:Just Around The Time You Stole My Virtue

“Your boyfriend’s dad is the Sheriff, I’m thinking I’ll get be able to get away with murder.”

“I don’t think Providence falls under his jurisdiction Beth but I appreciate the sentiment.” Balancing my cellphone between my ear and shoulder I shove a bunch of book and notebooks into my backpack. My watch tells me that its half past six in the morning which means that I’ll get a solid block of time in the library if I get there now. Finding an available desk on the other end is a power struggle on it’s own, maybe I’ll ask someone nicely or bribe them with my stash of Kit Kats.

Yes, that’s how badly I need a damn desk this time. 

“Listen if they keep their shit up you need to tell Cole. This isn’t fair on you and he needs to tell those skanks to back off.”

“I don’t need his help and the skanks are the least of my worries.” I slipped on my faux fur lined boots  and wound a scarf around my neck. I was in standard mid-term garb, sweatshirt, warm leggings and a warmer coat on top. All the layers made me wobble around like a penguin but I forced myself out the door.

“Oh yeah how goes the Ivy League academic hell, god I don’t miss that shit at all.”

I snort and walk quickly down the abandoned halls. It’s ghost town around here and the thought worries me. I’ve never been Megan smart but I manage, I’m here aren’t I? But every person in this school is smart, and it makes you rethink whether you should be here in the first place.

 I don’t have time to be all mopey and depressed about this though, I’ve got two three finals in the space of a day and a half and not enough prep done to ensure that I pass. 

“It’s hell all right. But I’ve got about a week to make sure I don’t flunk my freshman year of college so that’s a good thing. Maybe I’ll come visit you guys this weekend, get in the zone.”

“Yeah you should, we’ll research voodoo dolls.”

“You’re taking this more seriously than I am.”

“Because you’re not going to do anything about it. I get that you’re all big and brave now after facing Nicole but these girls target something completely different and you’re letting them get to you.”

“I’m not, I just don’t want to play their stupid games. We’re in college for crying out loud.” 

The campus is quiet as I trudge through it, given that it’s early or very late depending on how you see it, people are still asleep. But those are the ones who didn’t have to work very hard to get in the school in the first place, they can afford sleep. I know I’m right when I walk in and find more than half of the individual study desks taken. I hide from the librarian and stay on the phone with Beth as I stash my books on my first choice table. Then I leave to go to the on campus cafe and get myself a much needed large coffee.

“Why are you this early in the first place?” I ask her as I stand in line for my coffee.

She yawns, “I had a late shift at the restaurant so I haven’t actually been to bed yet, drank way too much coffee and I can’t go to sleep now.”

Knowing my brother shares the same genes as me I can confidently say, “And Travis is out like there’s no tomorrow right?”

“Well, in his defence, he was a very good boyfriend who stayed up for me half the night so I’m letting him hibernate.”

It makes me laugh, I’m glad he’s being taken care of. “We’re coming down for Thanksgiving next week remember, can’t wait to catch up with you guys.” There’s a note of wistfulness of my voices that Beth doesn’t miss.