Chapter 4 The Switchblade

Race's POV

Jack bursted through the door and yells "ANTHONY HIGGINS YOU'RE IN FOR IT!" Mush, who's trying to hold him back as best as possible, yells "Race I suggest running before he breaks free". So I run. Jack chases me all around the lodging house for about 10 minutes until he finally catches up to me. All's I rememba was him pulling out a switchblade from his pocket and the feeling of the freshly sharpened blade going into my stomach. Then everything went black. 

Your POV

"JACK HOW COULD YOU" I scream. I had just realized that the love of my life loves me too and then my brother stabbed him. "I-I didn't mean to." Jack says in a quiet but shocked tone. "How do you not mean to STAB somebody? HUH" I ask. I feel the anger rising inside me. Then I look over at Race "Let's get him to the hospital" I order. All the other newsies were back by now and they all complied. Some helped carry Race to the hospital some helped calm me down and keep me from killing my brother and the rest were trying to keep Jack sane. I finally compose myself and go to the hospital. They had told me Race was barely breathing but he was alive and he would be in a coma for at least a few days. I go into the room and I see his stomach and chest bandaged up. I guess Jack had stabbed him again once Race was unconscious. The first stab barely missed his appendix and the second one punctured his lung. "Race? Racey it's me, y/n. I'm really sorry about what Jack did to ya. I had no clue he even HAD a switchblade." I say. I felt awful. Race could die. I can't lose him. I hoid once that when you'se is in a coma you can still hear everything going on around you so I figured I'd let him know I'm here. "Race I love you so much. I love you more than you'll ever know. I just thought I'd tell you that. And joust so you know Race, when you'se gets out of here, I'm gonna take a break from sellin so I can spend time with you and take care of ya." I give him a light kiss on the forehead and I leave the room. Mush is waiting for me in the waiting room and we walk home together. 

Jack's POV

I don't even know what happened. Race got back, I let him talk to my sista for a few minutes but every moment she was cryin made my blood boil even more. Afta a few more minutes I couldn't take it anymore. I run through the door yellin' whith tears welling up in my eyes. I'se was so angry at him I just wanted him to hurt too. I broke free of Mush's grip and I'se was chasin Race all around da lodging house. Then I remembered I had a switchblade I had stolen for self defense. I pulled it out and without thinkin' I stabbed him right in the stomach. In a few seconds he was out cold then I stabbed him in the chest. I'se really don't know why but I did. I wanted him to hoit like me sista. I hate seein' y/n sad and I just wanted to help. I don't think she is gonna talk to me for a while and I don't think Race is gonna forgive me either. I don't blame either of them. I decide to go to bed and I don't even hear y/n come in. All I hear are her sobs and Mush tryin to comfort 'er.