Chapter 52

Chapter 52

We made our way deeper into the woods as I smiled to the feeling of the air against my cheeks as Guy and I smiled as he laughed a true laugh following me as I led him further into the woods. Carefully guiding the horse down a steep hill I easily dismounted and tied my horse to a tree outside as Guy did the same as I could see he was confused as to where I had lead him. We stood in front of an enormous cliff face before I took his hand in mine leading him towards the end where a crack large enough to fit a human was. Letting go I slipped through the cracks in the cliff and let myself hide in the darkness until he joined me before continuing as I saw the light grow brighter.

It was exactly like the last time I had visited. There was a small stream which flowed through the small paradise, freshly green grass which bloomed with white flowers, creating a floor of green and white. Blossom trees decorated the edge of the cliff surface as I stared up to see the bright blue sky with a small smile.

"What is this place?" Guy asked shocked as he came and stood beside me as I smiled and edged closer towards the stream and sat down on the grass playing with one of the flowers, its petals soft under my touch as I let my fingers sink into the cold water for a brief moment. Guy came and sat beside me as I saw his relaxed face as I smiled and blushed looking away when he turned to look at me with a smirk.

"A safe haven, I found it when I was younger I would come here when I needed to escape from the world." I explained as I could see Guy watching me curiously as I had to keep my eyes away from him. I didn't want to see pity in his eyes when he found out about my past.

"What were you trying to hide from?" He questioned as I shrugged slightly playing with the flower by my hands.

"Pity I think….." I trailed off.

"Pity?" He frowned as I could hear the curiosity in his voice as he was trying to put the pieces together.

"I was taken when I was younger……along with my mother…..our kidnappers…..they were brutal to us and they killed her" I broke off as my voice cracked as I struggled to keep my composure and to keep my voice from cracking. I heard the sound of screams echo in my mind as I flinched at the harsh memory before the cool wind brought me back into reality.

"Oh Esme" His comforting words caressed me and before I knew it he had pulled me into his lap embracing me tightly as I snuggled into his chest enjoying the scent of leather and his embrace. It was only then that I had noticed he had removed his gloves as I felt a hand stroke my hair and the other play gently with my fingers as his skin was rough against my smooth hands. When I placed my palm in his, his fingers were so much larger I felt like I was child in comparison.

"I've never shown anyone this place before……but I want to show it you" I whispered as I glanced up at him as he dipped his head towards mine. I felt his warm breath against my face as he rested his cheek on my forehead.

"I am honored Esme…I promise I will bring those who took you to justice. We're they the same ones who kidnapped you at the wedding?" He softly asked as I nodded as his arms around me held me tighter. I smiled slightly as I could feel his protective loving gesture come out once again.

"I'm sorry I let them take you Esme" He guiltily spoke as I glanced up at him and left my palm brush against his cheek.

"It's not your fault, I had embarrassed you and I doubt you would have wanted to save me at that moment in time." I told him in hope that he wouldn't feel guilty.

"Of course I would have!" He argued back as I could see him looking at me as though I had turned mad.

"Let's not dwell in the past we can't change it now….." I tried to re-direct the conversation as I knew it was no good to dwell on what might have been. I've done that plenty of that in my life in wondering what you would happened if my mother and I hadn't gone riding that day it all happened.

"Only if you explain the note you gave to me" He bargained as I shook my head as I saw the determination in his eyes. I couldn't let him know about the men who currently hunted and haunted after me. I refused to drag him into this messy past of mine. I wouldn't lose another loved one.

"I'm sorry I can't, but just trust me and please don't bring it up -" I started as I slowly got out from his lap and stood up as he jumped to his feet beside me.

"Is someone threatening you Esme, tell me." He begged as he took hold on my forearms making me looking into his eyes as I struggled to keep it hidden. He gently shook me slightly as I could see how he was desperate to help me as I continued to shake my head and I had to look away from him.

"I can't….they have eyes and ears everywhere" I whispered as though I was fearful that they would hear me at this current moment in time.

"Does this have something to do with the man in the market?" He asked slightly angrily as I went wide eyed and gulped. I saw his eyes narrow towards me as I felt my body shake slightly.

"Please, can we just enjoy this before I am sentenced back into the castle?" I begged as I placed my hands on his chest and looked up at him. I know he could see my fear in my eyes as I saw it in the reflection of his eyes, along with his concern expression, as his hands rested on my hips.

"Very well" He whispered defeated as I let of a sigh of relief.

"Thank you"

"But you will promise me that if you recognize any of those men, you will tell me" He strictly told me as I cheekily smiled at him nodding.

"I promise, I don't want to live in fear anymore." As we drew closer towards each other slightly.

"I won't let any harm come to you ever again. I promise." He whispered lovingly as I felt his breath warm my cheek as his hand stroked and placed a stray hair behind my ear. Closing my eyes I enjoyed the comfort

"Thank you Guy" I whispered before I pulled away with a smirk as I saw Guy watching me curiously whilst I bent down and splashed Guy with water as he chuckled loudly. Our small water fight continued as I squealed by the cold water soaking my dress. I saw him about to pounce towards me as I took that moment to run only to have him catch me by my waist and spinning me. Our laughter blurred together in a melody as we fell back against the grass laughing until our stomachs hurt.

He rested on his elbows brushing my hair from my face as we just enjoyed the quiet peace; he snuck a kiss to my cheek before he assisted me to my feet. It was quiet on our way back to the castle, the occasional giggle and chuckle between us however I noticed Guy's expressionless mask return to his face at the sight of the castle as I sighed sadly. Here we go, he helped me down from the horse as we arrived back to the prison of the castle.

"Go and get freshened up." Guy ordered me kindly before he stormed off in a separate direction causing me to scowl and storm off towards my bedroom. Brushing the knots from my hair I changed into a fresh dress as I heard commotion coming from the courtyard. Hmmmm? I wonder what's happening downstairs. I guess there is only one way to find out……