Chapter 13

This afternoon was currently rather uneventful. I sat like the 'good' Lady I am, beside Sir Guy, as I could see that all the other nobles sitting in their seats watching the archery contest were as bored as I was. I let out a quiet breath sighing. Sadly I had made some descent conversation with Guy, which even made me laugh a little, which made me sick to the stomach.

"Step forward Ford, son of Ford. Son of Ford." The attendant called out as the next archer, a young boy made his way to the platform.

"No sign of Robin Hood." I heard the Sheriff question Guy, as I started to eavesdrop, at the mention of his name. Robin wouldn't be so stupid as to walk in to this competition surely. But yet again he would want to prove he is the best, this tournament is practically screaming I'm a trap for Robin Hood. I bit the inside of my lip hoping Robin wouldn't come, because as soon as his arrow would leave his bow, he would be in massive trouble.

"He’s a coward." Guy sneered as I quickly glanced at him, when the familiar woosh noise rang as I glanced up to see that Ford, had hit the outer ring of the target, as I saw a few snickers in the crowd.

"Close. But not good enough. Keep practising." The Attendant shouted out, as I felt slightly sorry for Ford, as he blushed a deep red from embarrassment before quickly getting off the platform, as the next archer prepared to shoot for the silver arrow that rested on a black velvet pillow shining in the sun light.

"Your Michael the Red better be a winner. I don’t want to have to give this silver arrow away." The Sheriff told Guy as I saw them glance over at the prize. I watched as confusion spread across Guys face as I had to prevent myself from smirking.

"But surely if my man wins then... the silver arrow will be mine." He asked confused as the Sheriff sighed rolling his eyes.

"If Robin Hood turns up and wins, I will hang him and keep the arrow. If he doesn’t, then your man wins and he will return it." I kept on listening intently to their conversation hoping I would hear some good piece of information to hand over to Robin when I next see him.

"I see..." Disappointment dripped from Guy's mouth as he leant back in his chair, as I focused my eyes on the front as the next archer was ready to shoot, though I watched the Sheriff and Guy from the corner of my eye and kept on listening.

"Or I will hold you responsible." The Sheriff threatened as I saw Guy glance at the Sheriff with silent exasperation. I was evident that they had finished their conversation as I sighed disappointed, nothing important. I sat upright, against the cushion chair as I continued to watch as the next arrow hit the outer ring as well.

"Not quite the bullseye." The attendant shouted out as Guy scoffed beside me. I started to feel slightly hungry as I was handed an apple and a knife. Instead of just biting into the apple like I would at home, I began to carefully peel the apple. I was about halfway through peeling my apple until I saw Guy smirk slightly.

"They say the peel of an apple can predict who a woman will marry." He whispered as I could feel his strong gaze on me as I kept my attention onto the apple.

"How?" I asked him curious, with a slight frown as I heard him give a very soft chuckle beside me.