Chapter 16- Confessions of a Runaway Prisoner

~Selena~

Oddly enough, the next place on our to-do list was a church.

Surprise surprise, the whole 'pointing out each others' wrong doings' soon led to a full on debate on who was the worst human being. As far as I could tell, the only one not in the running for being the sin-emperor, was Tom.

Again, surprise surprise.

After ages of pointing out what terrible people we were, everyone began feeling shitty and guilt ridden. Well, everyone except Jerry, who took pride in his immoral endeavors. (I thought that in itself proves who the worst of us really was.)

So Lilly suggested that we go to a church and do a confession, where we can actually tell another person about all of the illegal crap we've done over the years and not get arrested.

Of course, all protests were silenced by Lilly's warning glare.

As it turns out, there was a young priest-in-training who happened to be there, (though at this godly hour who knows why?). He was a slender slip of a young man, with floppy brown hair, wide blue eyes, and delicate features. Everything about him, just screamed innocent. Also, he seemed to genuinely want to help us, which was probably not very smart. He gladly offered to be in the other box and take our confessions or whatever, as soon as he glanced at our stripper and shirtless street fighter outfits.

He ushered us inside with haste, and I could see it in his expression that he was thinking 'These loons need Jesus ASAP'.

To this day, I never really understood confession booths. No matter how you look at it, talking to someone in a box, while you're sitting in an adjacent box but equally as boring box, is just about as abstract as it gets. In fact, I'm pretty sure I had a strange dream like this, except that the person in the other box was Brittany Spears and my box was on fire.

As usual, I wasn't quite sure what my subconscious was trying to tell me.

Tom offered to go into the box first, though I knew that his worst crime was merely going along with the rest of us, in addition to possibly stalking Lilly like she had stalked him.

Next came Lilly, who had started crying at some point during her turn. We could hear her wailing from where we were waiting outside, and the two more inconsiderate boys (guess who), exchanged disbelieving looks. I elbowed Jerry in the ribs just as Lilly stepped out, sniffling into her arm. I wasn't sure what she was feeling bad about, but I gave her a comforting hug afterwords regardless.

Alex took a long time during her turn. Like, a very long time.

It made sense though. Her list of sins was probably as long as the quantity of pi.

She looked relieved when she emerged from the box, one hand absentmindedly curling around her stomach. My heart warmed, and a sudden wave of affection for my misunderstood friend had me rushing in to hug her.

Next was my turn.

I'll admit, I was nervous. Touchy-feely heart to hears has never been my forte, even with the people I was close to, let alone some stranger in a box who I would forever imagine as Brittany Spears.

Conner noticed this, as usual. He took my hand and pulled me into the box alongside him, slamming shut the door before the others in our group could even ask 'Are you stupid or what?'.

Of course, the young priest on the other side could see us through the tiny speaking holes between the two boxes.

He cleared his throat, and I knew he was about to tell us that confessional booths were supposed to be with one person at a time. But he stopped abruptly, and turning my head to see the threatening glare in Conner's green eyes, I harshly kicked him in the shin.