Chapter 12- Recon Mission

~Selena~

My day didn't start off as a disaster.

In fact, up until around 11pm, I was having a pretty damn good day. Since I had gotten to see Conner, I was still giggly and mushy, perplexing everyone around the house aside from my mother.

After dinner had ended, I plopped myself onto the sofa and sighed happily at the ceiling, grinning widely until I finally couldn't take it and turned my head to giggle into the cushions like a lovesick school girl.

"What the hell kind of yoga class did they go to?" I heard Stanton mutter as he made his way to the stairs.

"Maybe they used marijuana as incense or something." Sam suggested, following after his twin.

I could almost hear Stanton roll his eyes. "I'm pretty sure that's illegal, Sam." The rest of their conversation became muted as they went up stairs, but I was too busy being happy to care.

Just thinking about being able to see Conner so often made the warmth start to pool in my chest again, spreading and burning until I was sure my body couldn't take it anymore and just exploded. Just the picture of his crooked smile and the feeling of being in his arms again, was more than enough to last me until our next meeting.

A knock at the front door broke me out of my rolling and giggling, and I practically skipped to the door.

"Hey Selli." Alex gave me a curious look as she caught my beaming smile. She had come over a couple of times since my incarceration, and needless to say I hadn't been a happy ball of sunshine then. "Okay, whatever it is that you're smoking, you've gotta let me have some."

I rolled my eyes, but stepped back to let her in. She strode in and immediately plopped down onto my sofa as if it were her own, regardless that I hadn't even invited her over to begin with. I didn't protest though, knowing that she was a bit lonely since Lilly was still mad at us. "Is your dad home?" She asked, looking around.

I shook my head. "He just left for the office. He won't be back until tomorrow."

Alex smile playfully, then patted the spot beside her on the couch. "Perfect. Now, how about you tell me what's got you shitting rainbows, and then we can eat ice cream and watch movies with hot actors in them to our heart's content?"

I grinned back and nodded. Someone to gush to was just what I needed.

~

Now as I was saying, things only started to get strange at around 11.

I was woken up by insistent knocking on the front door. It was one of those things that I pretended not to notice and tried to go back to sleep to, but after a while had passed and the knocking showed no signs of stopping, I reluctantly sat up.

I had to disentangle myself from Alex's long limbs in order to get off the sofa, which was a challenge in itself since she was a closet cuddler. But once I managed that, I unsteadily stumbled through the dark, repeatedly tripping over littered miscellaneous junk and occasionally my own feet.

I all but collapsed at the front door, thoroughly wishing to go back to bed but realizing that the couch was on the other side of the 'obstacle course in the dark', that was my living room. Both a deep sleeper's and a clutz's worst nightmare. (I happened to be both.)

So I turned on the lights and answered the door.

I blinked as my eyes focused on the person standing on the other side. The person in question said nothing, giving me a nervous look while shuffling their feet. I blinked again.

"Lilly?"

The blond gave me a hesitant nod, but didn't smile. "Can I come in?"

I blinked again, but I wasn't imagining things. "Yeah, I guess."