Buffalo

Mheetu

The trip around the borders was definitely a lot to take in, but it was totally worth it. I missed home a lot, but the lionesses I went with made the trip so much better, and I'm sure they'll all be friends for life. I was going for a midday stroll when I see a herd of Buffalo running towards me, as if running for their lives. When they pass me, I see a lioness struggling to pin one down, and it makes a run for it, leaving her growling in frustration. 

"Need some help there?"

She looks over to me, and her green eyes widen in fear. 

"I'm so, so, sorry I know I'm not supposed to hunt here but I have nowhere else so me and my siblings-"

"It's OK, I'm not running to the king any time soon."

She cocks her head to one side, "W-w-w-why not?"

I roll my eyes, "You look starved."

"I'm Dalila."

I smile back at her, causing her to blush, "Mheetu."

She nods, then grimaces, "I sh-should really be hunting now, but n-nice to meet you."

"You want any help?"

"No," she replies, too fast. "I mean, sorry, but I'm OK."

"Alright then, Dalila, see you round."

She blushes again, and I glance at her one last time before walking away. She had fawn colouring and a lighter underside, with big green eyes. She was clearly short on food, and if you looked carefully, you could see her ribs protruding from her sides. 

Dalila

I watched the male retreat back to where he came from. He seemed nice, but when it came to pridelanders, I tried to stay out of their way, for fear of my younger brother and older sister being discovered. I crouch low in the grass as I near a female bison at the back of the herd I was chasing earlier. I lick my lips, and pounce silently into the air, claws sinking into its flanks. It cries out, and narrowly misses me with its horns, using the leverage to escape from my hold to turn its horns on me. I turn tail and run, circling for a few moments before turning and leaping onto its back ; it bucks and gets me off, turning on me again, this time leaving me to run, no more tricks up my sleeves. Then I hear a heavy thump, and spin around to see the male I was talking to earlier crushing its windpipe, jaws slick with blood. 

"Hey!"

"You're welcome?"

"I told you that I didn't  want help, so why did you help me?!"

"Because you looked like you needed help?"

I growl, and grab the buffalo, dragging it across the savannah to my brother and sister, who are probably wondering where I am. 

"I was trying to help, Dalila!"

Him saying my name makes me stop, and I turn around to hiss into his priviliged pridelander face, all tan fur and thick brown mane. 

"You can help by leaving me alone," I snarl, and he looks taken aback, before turning and walking back to pride rock, standing regally in the distance, half hidden by a shroud of red dust. 
I drag the buffalo back, to be greeted by my siblings. 

"Dalila!" says Asani, leaping into my arms.

"Hey bee-bro!"

I muse the tuft of hair on his head, and nuzzle my older sister lovingly. Her name is Kali, and she usually does the hunting, but has recently been trying to teach me. 

"Hey little sis, big game for such a small lioness."

I smile, "A pridelander helped."

She takes a bite out of the buffalo, before saying to me, mouth filled with meat, "Vhot thas her name?"

"It was a he, actually, called Mheetu."

Kali almost drops the meat in her mouth, "A male?"

I nod, and take a bite of buffalo, chewing slowly to try and conceal the fact that I'm blushing.

"Was he cute?"

I roll my eyes, and swallow, trying not to say too much.

"Must mean he was cute! Omg do you have a crush?!"

I shake my head, "I don't even know them, how am I supposed to have a crush on them?"

"Well, they're cute, they helped you hunt, and they're probably a royal, since the King doesn't allow many males in the pride."

"And?"

"That means you should go for it!"

I shake my head, like I could make that happen!

Author's Note

Hey guys!!! I'd like to say thank you to anyone who stuck around for this long, because you are amazing. Keep it up! The reads and votes are motivating me not only to keep writing but to keep going through this difficult time, as my country has been in lockdown for around two months now.

Thanks so much!!!!