Chapter 18 - Last letters

When Indy woke in the morning, he was alone. He scanned the area for his mom but she was nowhere to be found. There was an envelope next to his sleeping bag. A ripe peach sat on top of the envelope, holding it in place. He tore open the envelope and then read the letter inside. 

Dearest Son, 

If you are reading this then I did not return before you woke, as I had hoped. I left in the night as you slept and walked to the coast. I know the staff I carry is a heavy burden but one I carry as easily as a feather. I have understood for days now that this staff is not just a wooden stick. It is a seed to something great and powerful. As you lay sleeping, I plan to plant it much the same way I did the peach pit last night. This time however, I worry that the seed may grow up around me, enclosing me within it. The seed and I have a deeply rooted bond, we have become entwined, and the power I feel in my bones is awesome. I fear that neither of us can function now without the other. I go now in hope to ensure my family has a bright future. I really don't know what tomorrow will bring, but if my sacrifice is needed to achieve my goals, I do it willingly for you and your father. 

With your life, I have loved. With your love, I have life. 

Please forgive me for not saying goodbye. I could not stand the pain lest it break my will and resolve. I could not chance anyone talking me out of this. So I will say it here instead, goodbye son and remember I love you. 

P.S. take care of your father. He will need you now more than ever. 

Indy was crying as he read the letter and up and running as he finished reading. The paper fluttering to the ground as he headed up the trail towards the coast. Wisps of white morning fog swirled around his ankles as he ran through the trees. 

He saw it before he was through the tree line. A gigantic towering white tree with dark brown leaves. The brown leaves reminded him of his mother's silky long hair and the pale white bark, like her fair skin. Tears streamed down his face as he ran harder towards the tree. 

As he ran closer, he spotted his father and James near the base of the tree. His father kneeled before the tree with his head bowed. James stood just behind him with a piece of paper clutched tightly to his chest. 

He could hear his dad murmuring as he grew closer. "My Jolie. My Jolie. Why. Why, did you leave me?" 

Indy looked up at the tall tree. It was easily as big as the largest of the redwoods. It was as wide as a bus and its roots ran thick and deep into the rocky ridge overlooking the coast. Deep clouds of fog had rolled in during the night, covering the ocean in fluffy white clouds. It gave the morning an eerie surreal feeling. 

He reached for his dad. 

James stopped him with a gentle hand on his shoulder. 

Indy shook off the hand and called to his dad, "Dad. Is she... in there?" 

The murmurs stopped as his dad spoke with a raspy voice. "Touch the tree and hear for yourself." 

Indy moved to the tree and reached out his hand. He felt... nothing, his protective skin failed to communicate even the texture of the white wood. But he kept his hand there and pressed his ear close to listen. 

He could hear a gentle humming that reminded him of his mom's lullaby. 

"Mom!" He cried. Indy sank to the ground in a posture that mimicked his fathers. 

"James," Daniel Locke said over his shoulder. "Go back to the castle and prepare a statement. My son and I need to be alone for a while." 

"Yes sir." James said stiffly and stomped off. 

"Indy, come over here." His dad stood and motioned him to follow. 

It was the first time his dad had ever called him Indy and the significance was great in Indy's mind. 

They walked around the tree until they came to the side that faced the ocean. A few of the large roots here were bent to form a sort of sitting area. 

"Sit," he said and patted one of the large roots beside him. 

Indy sat. 

They sat there and stared out to sea as the breeze blew through the leaves of Jolie's hair and the rumble of the surf drowned out the lullaby from their ears but not their souls.