Chapter 28 - Olympus

Indy stood panting with his eyes shut and hands bracing against the door. When no sounds came from the other side of the door, he raised his head and opened his eyes. Two lightning bolts spearing a large circle were carved into the back of the door. He must have passed the last test, although he wasn't quite sure what the test had been. He did however recognize the lightning bolt symbol for Olympus. 

Indy stood tall and looked at his surroundings. The door he had passed through was part of a large broken tower. Blocks of stone littered the ground all the way to the edge of the rocks. The tower stood on a large outcropping of rocks surrounded by the swell of an enormous ocean. An earthquake or landslide must have caused part of the stone tower to collapse and slide into the water. Only the door and a small portion of the stone wall remained.  

There was nothing else on the small little Island. But Indy could hear a soft wooden banging from down near the water. Indy looked over the edge and spotted a small boat drifting in the water at the base of the rock island. It was moored to the rocks by a frayed and knotted piece of rope. The boat had a name "Penny" painted in blue on the back of its wooden frame. 

Looking past the small bobbing boat, Indy regarded the water. For as far as he could see there was only crashing waves. The sky above was dark, ominous, and lightning danced among the dark black clouds. Thunder boomed and the wind started to pick up. The wind was so strong it threatened to lift Indy off his feet. The little boat started to pull free from its knotted anchor and Indy had to run as the boat started out to sea. He landed in the small boat hard and his weight alone threatened to sink the small craft. Splashing water rose up several times to pour into the boat. The boat started to spin in circles as it caught the current and drifted out to sea.  

The wind blew and water crashed for an eternity before something new broke the scenery. The boat was heading for another small rocky island, just barely bigger than the one he just left. This one was different in another way as well. Two people clung to each other atop the rocks and waved wildly at Indy once they spotted him. The small boat was drifting by when one of the people on the rocks threw out a tough soggy rope. Indy caught the rope and tied it to the boat. 

The man standing at the far end of the rope pulled the small boat to shore with a mighty effort. A smaller woman stood beside the man, cheering him on. Once Penny's boat got close enough, the woman ran to the edge of the rocks and helped Indy guide the boat in. 

"Thank heavens you came." The woman cried. "We have been stuck on this rock for days."  

The man ran up behind her and held out his hand. "I'm Dean Jones and this is my wife Martha." 

Indy shook the man's hand. 

Martha spoke up quickly after looking up at the dark sky. "We need to go soon Dean. The storm is about to break and you remember what it did to the last boat."  

"Yes, I remember Martha, you haven't stopped reminding me of it for days now." Dean said with a great huff. "Your boat is a little small stranger, but Port Haven is not far away. Can we share your boat until then?" 

Indy nodded and helped Martha into the boat. There was barely enough room for the woman to sit and the waves started to lap at the rails.