Chapter 2 - Home for a rest

Inside the main gates, the road split off in several places as the castle's main doors came into view. The main house was set on the highest part of the ridge ahead of them with four corner towers and a fifth taller one at center. To the left of the main building there was a helipad complete with large fog lights. The cement pad had a giant letter H painted in white. There wasn't a helicopter on it now but there were several trucks and a large hanger nearby.  

On the other side of the road, they passed a few smaller buildings before coming around a large fountain to the main doors. A large stained glass window looked down at them over top two large heavy wooden doors. 

"Whoa," Joslyn said. 

"Ya," Indy replied. "It looks like they went all out this time. My dad was referring to it as the rest home during its building phase. I guess he was planning on retiring sometime this year to spend a little more time with mom and me." 

"This is amazing," Joslyn said with awe as she stared up at several stone gargoyles hanging from the walls. 

Together they walked up to the massive carved wooden doors and as they did the door on the left opened. 

"Indy!" A man stood before them with a solid jaw and wide shoulders. He wore a white button down shirt, a black vest that barely hid his solid build and a pair of dress pants. The man's dark eyes glanced over them with a brooding look. "You have kept your parents waiting," he said. His expression eased as his face broke into a wide grin. "But who is your beautiful friend?" 

"James," Indy said. "This is Joslyn McCloud." 

Joslyn put a hand forth to shake with James. "It's nice to finally meet you James." 

James took her offered hand with a small bow. 

"It's very nice to meet you as well, Joslyn," he said. "Your father has spoken very highly of you, but he failed to mention how beautiful you are. I will have to thank him for recommending such a capable guide for Indy." 

Indy nodded at James and said, "James here is my father's jack of all trades. He is like a Swiss army knife in a three-piece suit. James has been with our family for years." 

James bowed deeply to Indy and motioned them both inside. 

"Please let me show you inside," he said. "Your parents are waiting in the great room. Allow me to show you the way." 

They walked through castle's grand entrance hall. The floor was a dark smooth granite and the walls a deep rich wood. Crystal chandeliers graced the ceiling and the lighting fixtures on the wall were a dark metal grey. The grand hallway that towered over them took several turns before they came to a set of polished oak doors. 

They could hear raised voices inside the room as James paused outside the twin doors. 

"We can't possibly know the dangers," A gravelly voice was saying. "You must let me shut-" 

"No. We can't do that," A strong firm voice said in reply. "We have an amazing opportunity here. Who knows what world changing technologies we could discover." 

James cracked the door open silently and led the kids inside. He raised a single finger to his lips and urged their silence. 

"Mr. Locke we need to be very careful. There are so many unknowns in this case. We have no idea of the consequences of this... Power." The gravelly voice belonged to an older man with short grey hair wearing a white lab coat. The old man looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. Dark black circles sagged under his eyes and wild grey hair topped his head. The man reminded Indy of a small frail grandfather. "Please reconsider," he said. "My science team has gathered several more of the artifacts and we have begun testing the effects-"