Chapter 17 - Indy's lullaby

Indy and his mom slept under the stars that night. It was a beautiful night and they talked for hours. She recalled his past exploits and brazen late night fridge raids. Indy reminded her of all the great times he had with her growing up. It was the most they had talked in years. He made a silent vow to spend more time with her in the future. There was no way he would let them grow any further apart. He would make time for his parents, just as his father asked.  

"I love you Indy. I want you to remember that, no matter what," she told him quietly. 

"Of course mom. I love you too." 

Jolie looked up into the sky and watched as the multi coloured aurora danced across the heavens. "I don't know who to thank for this miracle we have been given. But I feel we are truly blessed," she looked happily at him. This staff, I think has given me a second chance at life. But there is more to it than that. I think it's meant for something else, something much more then healing a broken soul like me." 

"What do you mean mom?" 

"Let me show you," she said. 

Jolie searched around on the ground for a moment looking and finding a discarded peach pit. 

"Ahh here we go, watch closely." she said as she stood over the little peach pit and put both hands on the staff. The staff instantly glowed blue. She lowered the tip of the staff down until it pushed the seed into the soft earth. 

The staffs light started to pulse. Slow at first then faster. It sounded like a heart beating. Tiny sprouts popped from the spot the pit had sunken into. They grew faster than Indy's eyes could follow. It was pure magic, in an instant it was a sapling, then a small tree and finally a full-grown tree stood before them. The white staff jutted out from the base of the new tree. 

When Jolie tugged on the staff, it came out easily but left a small hole in the trunk from where the wood had grown around it. 

"It wasn't meant just to heal us Daniel. This is meant to heal the world." 

Indy's face must have betrayed something he didn't realize. 

His mom looked sadly at him. 

"No you don't see it either. Your father couldn't understand what this means," he r voice seemed to falter as the sadness touched her eyes. "Everything we have found in this valley is here for a reason," she said. "This staff, the storage room, and even the aurora that keeps us here." 

"Mom I'm not sure what these things are. Even if we don't understand what makes them work, I doubt there is anything here that's going to change the world. Doc said that most of these artifacts were nothing but kid's toys. That they really weren't able to doing much with them." 

Jolie's look had turned sour at the mention of Doc's name. "Don't trust that man Daniel. He came highly recommended from other people we trust. But I can see something in his eyes. A lust for power or just pure greed, I don't know."