Chapter Fifteen

There were a few customers when Mia stepped in to the Library next day. Xavier was at the desk, explaining something to a wide eyed girl who was more interested in the way his lips moved rather than what came out of it.

Mia decided against interrupting them and sneaked to the supernatural section. This particular section was at the end of the Library also a little bit darker than the other sections probably to create the supernatural aura. She was relieved to find it empty. Placing her bag over the nearest table Mia reached for the Legacy. It was not really visible to a regular person, the book was placed very carefully to escape intruding eyes.

As Mia settled down with the book a few girls entered the section, she didn't pay much attention to what they were doing as she was already reading through the first page of the book. It consisted of the basic information about the author and how he came to write about the most fearless and feared creatures that ever existed. She skipped through it and turned to the first chapter, The Beginnings.

The author never directly use the word vampires anywhere except the title. He kept calling them 'Rulers of the Night'. Mia had gotten familiar with the word as she had read the acknowledgement of the book yesterday. However she was surprised at her adeptness as she started translating the first paragraph, which read :

There is no folklore that you would unfold in the pages of this book. The Rulers of the Night are no myth, no superstition that finds its existence in the lips of the weak. They are as true as your belief in everything good, as old as time and as brilliant as the Satan himself. There are too many stories that mask the path that lead to them, acting as the haze that prevents any intrusion to their privacy. They are very discerning about the humans they let in their community and the ones who are let in are sworn to secrecy.

The origin of rulers of the night dates back to the time Witchcraft emerged, the want to step out from the light of God and walk under the shadow of Devil. The man who later came to be known as the father of Vampire community, was not the first to get exploited in a deal from the Devil. The Father, had asked for Immortality and his wish was granted by the devil.

Mia lifted her eyes to see Xavier leaning against the farthest end of the bookshelf, his eyes fixed on her. She offered him a smile and closed her notebook, she had been writing down the meanings and the words there. Xavier walked over to her and pulled out the chair before sitting down.

"So, how is it going?" He asked.

"How long have you been standing there?" Mia asked back.

Xavier grinned, the smile not reaching his eyes as usual. "I think I lost the track of time" He spoke leaning against the chair, his gaze fixed on Mia.

She sighed, closing the book softly. "It's pretty hectic, constantly switching between the translator and reading"

"How far did you read?"

"I read till the deal between The Father and Devil" Mia reopened the book and pointed the paragraph she had stopped.

"Do you want me to tell you the rest of the chapter?"

Mia debated on his offer, she wanted his company but he had a Library to run, she couldn't just act selfish and ask him to stay. "It's alright, I can handle this" She muttered, pointing at the book.

"If you say so" Xavier smiled. "Would you like some coffee then probably with something to eat too? It's past lunch time."

Mia looked up at her phone and checked the time. It was 3:30 pm. "That'd be great" She said.

"I'll be back" Xavier promised before walking away.

Mia looked around her, the section was completely empty. She had been so engrossed in the book that she hadn't even noticed the girls who were there earlier leaving. She took out her little note book and began reading again.

The Father, unbounded in his happiness of immortality accepted the pain that his transformation caused him. He was yet unknown to the condition the Devil had for granting his wish. Amidst the first week of his change, he lay thrashing on the bed withstanding the thirst no amount of water could quench. The thirst he finally quenched with the blood of his wife. The poor woman died before Father was strong enough to do anything about it.

It took, six months, six weeks and six days to complete his transformation to an immortal being. Once he was aware of his powers the Devil appeared to him again. This time with the curses that came with the blessing of immortality.

Xavier placed the cup of coffee and a sandwich beside the book. He then proceeded to the chair he had occupied previously. "Eat first, the book can wait" He said.

"I'd be lying if I said this book is not addictive" Mia muttered, taking a sip of her coffee. "Did you make this?" She asked, placing the cup back on the table.

"Yes. I've employed someone to take care on the reception. Hence I'm taking care of the kitchen. It's not that busy there."

"Oh" Mia spoke, slightly amazed at the new piece of information. "So how is the first day going?"

"It's been good. Even though I'm terribly missing spending time with you"

Mia was glad that the cup covered half of her face when she took a sip. She put the cup down after she had composed herself. "I think I'll take up your offer for explaining the rest of the chapter" She said.

"I couldn't be more glad" Xavier said, the corners of his lips curving. "The curses?" He asked as Mia pointed out the paragraph she was on. As she nodded, Xavier began reading the lines in english.

The curses weren't from the Devil himself. They were rather from the Supreme who was punishing Father for committing a breach in the natural law. The Father was said to be cursed to a solitary life, curse to be able to enjoy only the darker half of the day and also the curse of infertility. Of all the curses, the thought of solitary life troubled Father the most.

For years, Father stayed hidden enjoying in immortality and preying on clueless humans. The village he preyed on got deserted with time as the count of the corpses increased. Some left the village in fear of being next while some stayed, not having anywhere else to go. The last pair of humans that were left, were the children of a blacksmith and an unknown woman who had fallen prey to Father long back.

As Father made his way to the two children he had no thought in his head but of young blood. He relished the fright in the faces of the brother and sister, crouched at the corner shivering from both cold and fear. He had decided to drain them slowly, since the village was completely deserted except them.

He took them away to his hideaway, his first prey was the brother however he didn't leave him completely bloodless. The aftermath was deadly, as six days later rose Emmet, killer of Father and the first progeny of Rulers of Night.