Chapter Eight

By the time Xavier returned with a plate of deliciously smelling food, Mia had thought of the story she was goimg to tell the Wilson's. Xavier politely struck up a conversation with her as she dug in to her plate of grilled chicken and cobb salad.

However her peaceful eating came to a halt when Xavier told her that he's a graduate, she she almost choked on her food. She had thought that he was of her age. Maybe twenty but definitely not a graduate. She decided to stop making assumptions about him for the night, with her guesswork she'd probably have nothing on him.

To Mia's happiness the storm had completely cleared up by 8 in the morning, however the network had not yet started working. Hence Mia decided to take Xavier's offer to take her home. Since his house was more towards the outskirts of the town the drive to the Wilson Mansion was long. It was almost 10 a.m when Xavier stopped the car in about two hundred meters of the mansion.

"Are you sure you can walk up to the house?" He asked.

Mia nodded. "Yes and thank you once again Xavier, for saving me" She smiled.

"Wouldn't have gotten a better opportunity for my redemption" The corners of his lips twisted to a smile that completely opposed the expressiveness of his eyes. "I hope we meet again Mia" He said, his gravelly tone replaced by a slightly huskier one.

"I hope so too" She muttered, before opening the door and climbing out of the car. She waved at him before starting her solitary walk to the mansion. The dying sound of engine told her that Xavier was leaving. By the time she had reached the gates of the mansion she was feeling lightheaded again, however this time she had no idea who caught her from the fall.

"I'd go call them, she's waking up"

Nick. Mia could never mistake his voice, even amongst the buzz in her ears. She tried opening her eyes slowly. Her vision wasn't as blurry as it was last time but the eyes that looked on her this time too had the same concern etched in them. For a second she was about to take Xavier's name but her parched throat didn't let her speak and she couldn't be more glad when she realised that it wasn't Xavier who stood by her, it was Xander.

"Rise slowly" He said, sliding his hands over her shoulder. She tried to push herself up but a stabbing pain shot through her ankle. A soundless cry of pain escaped her lips. "It's okay" He whispered before tightening his grip on her and pulling her up against the pillows. He then turned around and poured some water in the glass for her.

"Thank you" Mia muttered once she had emptied the half of her glass. "I don't know what happened to my ankle, it was fine when I walked this morning"

Xander collected the now empty glass and placed it over the bed side table. "You twisted your ankle when you lost consciousness this morning. It'd be fine in a few days if you don't put any pressure on it"

Mia released a deep breath and kept her head against the head rest. She had no idea what was happening to her, first her car, then her forehead and now her ankle.

"You know I was behind you when you left your house yesterday." Xander paused and looked at Mia, waiting for her affirmation.

"I know, but I lost both you and Nick in the fog" She said.

"We searched in every possible road Mia, we couldn't find your car or you. It was really bad when the storm hit. Everyone was on the verge of believing that they lost you."

"Everyone?" She asked, her accusing stare stable on him. Mia wanted to cover her mouth as soon as she said that.

Xander leaned back in the chair he sat and crossed his arms over his chest. "I don't like judging people when I'm still unaware of half of their story. What happened after you lost-"