Chapter Fourteen

Mia felt heat rise up to her cheeks. It was very rare that people asked for her opinion and by very rare she meant almost never. She was used to working on other people's opinions, and she couldn't really believe that someone was really considering hers. Someone she wasn't even that well acquainted with.

"I should have told that to you before. Look if you feel uncomfortable you can leave, I didn't mean to-"

"Xavier" Mia shouted. "Calm down. It was really sweet of you to even consider my opinion" Not wanting the situation to get more awkward, she continued. "Is this section new?"

"It is, this was one of the genres that was missing and since there was space. I thought why not"

Mia walked closer to the shelf and ran her eyes over the titles. "The Legacy of Vampires? Where did you get this from? I heard it was discontinued by the author." She turned to Xavier waiting for an answer.

"It's a copy of my family" Xavier said, picking up some of the books that were on the ground and placing them on the shelf.

Mia picked up the rest of the books and started passing them to Xavier as he placed them on the shelf. "My grandfather had one but I had no idea where it went after his death"

"I can't let you take that book home but you can read it here if you want to-" Xavier paused and turned to Mia. "And as long as you want to" He added.

"I really want to know why my grandfather was obsessed with this book. No offence to the writer but bloodsuckers don't feel interesting enough to write this thick of a book on"

Xavier chuckled. "Then what is interesting according to you Miss? Lycans?"

Mia shook her head. "What werewolves? Not at all. I'd rather believe in ghosts"

"Vampires are just ghosts with perfect bodies Mia"

Mia walked over and pulled out the Legacy, it was heavier than two encyclopaedias combined. She quickly put it on the table and flipped open the first page. There was no doubt that the book was old, the pages had turned yellow and the edges were also frayed. She carefully picked up the first page, assessing the strength of the pages and turned it. The title of the book was printed in bold letters and below it sat what Xavier had just said, 'The Ghosts with the perfect bodies, Vampires'.

"You've read this book before" Mia spoke up, looking up to Xavier who was placing a book on the lowest shelf.

"Yes I have" He answered, not diverting his gaze from the task at hand.

"So you find vampires interesting?"

Xavier placed the last book in the shelf and pulled out another old looking book. It was a small book with black cover atop it which was torn at places. He walked over to the chair opposite to Mia and sat down before offering her a smile instead of a reply.

Mia skipped through the contents and reached the first chapter of the book. "This is old english" She muttered running her fingers over the words.

Xavier put aside the book he held "It's not Old English. It's Middle English, the one that came before Shakespeare. You don't know how to read it?"

"Well I can to an extent but, it will probably take me a year to complete it like that"

"I won't mind having you here for an year, or even more"