Chapter 13

"So... Approximately, how far are we from the hospital?" Ray asked.

I shrugged. "All I know is that this route is shorter than the alternative... By far."

"It's fucking cold..." Bob muttered to himself.

I instantly thought of Gerard and how I was wearing his jacket. He must've been freezing.

"Gerard?" I called out.

He was at my side in seconds. "Take your jacket back," I demanded.

"No. Keep it. You'll get sick."

"I don't care. It'll be my fault."

"Listen, Rachael. I... There's something I've been wanting to tell you."

My heart began racing. Could it be true? Was Gerard about to confess his love for me? "What?" I grunted.

Yeah, real smooth, Rachael. You're definitely a keeper.

"This might come off as weird, but-"

"SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT, SHIT!" Frank was running like the Devil was on his heels.

I saw it before I could ask, let alone comprehend, what was happening. We had been walking last the lake. Frank got bored, and tossed some stones into the water. Bad move.

A swarm, an actual one this time, of zombies emerged from the water. It was like something out of a sci-fi movie. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I stood there, in a daze. Unable to take my eyes off the hybrid creatures. Eventually, I came to my senses, again.

Unfortunately, that had been when a zombie- oozing skin, sunken eyes, and everything- grabbed a hold of Bob and sank its teeth into his arm.

Without thinking, I bolted toward Bob. Igniting the zombies closing in around me, I zeroed in on Bob and the zombie clinging onto his arm.

When I was only a couple feet away from them, I stopped short. The reality of what I was doing suddenly dawned on me.

Fuck... I'm violating one of Zombieland's prime rules: Don't be a hero.

Pushing this thought away, I launched forward, knocking the zombie off his feet. I took his initial shock as my chance to smash his brains in.

I grabbed Bob's hand and pushed through the crowd of zombies. Once we got back to the others, I let go of his hand and allowed him to take a breather.

"Are you okay?" I wheezed out.

He shook his head. "I feel like shit..."

I glanced behind him to see the zombies advancing on us. We continued running for what felt like forever. My legs were sore, my knees felt like they were going to give out on me, my heart was on fire, and my nose was burning. Somehow, I managed to keep my legs pumping. Back and forth. Back and forth.

I stopped only when I heard a thump and a cry of pain. Turning around, I saw that Bob had fallen to the cold floor. The zombies that had been chasing us now stopped to savagely rip Bob apart. Limb by limb.

I took a step toward them, twisting my bat tentatively.

"Don't!" Bob screamed. With missing body parts, I would've found it hard to talk normally, too. "Go. I'm... gonna turn anyway. I... I was already... bit-" He was stopped short when one zombie reached into his mouth.

I turned away just as Bob's tongue was ripped out of his mouth. I wanted to scream, but when I opened my mouth, no sound came out.

I shuffled down the road blindly. Yeah, Jade's death was pretty gruesome. But I hadn't really seen her die. I just witnessed Bob, a complete stranger, die and it tore my heart out.