Chapter 5

"I'll be right back," I announced suddenly.

"Where are you going?" Mikey asked.

"Ladies' room."

"Oh..."

"You'll be fine by yourself?" Frank asked.

"I'll be fine."

.....

After washing my hands, I stepped outside of the bathroom to see that I was being cornered in by about twenty zombies. Just my luck. There's no way I can take them on. So I did what any smart person would do. I ran.

I ran like there was no tomorrow. When I reached the boys, I managed to yell, "Zombies! Run!" They caught on, and began running too.

In a way, it was like playing hide and go seek. I had an epic hiding spot (the kitchen), and then Gerard comes in and steals the epicness. Cue the tantrum.

"Why'd you follow me?" I whined.

Gerard began sealing off the kitchen. "I didn't. Get over yourself."

I rolled my eyes. "Well, could you find somewhere else to go?"

"Excuse me?"

"I was here first..."

"You are so childish."

I crossed my arms. "And what are you?"

"Listen, I'm not going back out there. Not until those zombies clear out. Either you can leave, or stay here and be stuck with me. Which is it gonna be?"

"I guess I'm staying," I muttered.

"Good. I know Frank would probably roast my ass if I let you walk out."

I scrunched up my nose. "Ugh, gross visual image."

Gerard smirked. "Don't pretend you don't like it."

"As if, man."

About five minutes later, Gerard received a text from Mikey. Apparently, him and Frank were stuck in a pantry. On the bright side, they had a bunch of canned food to pig out on. Yum! (Notice the sarcasm?)

"You never did answer my question..." I said.

"Question?"

"Yeah. Why were you acting so hostile towards me?"

"Oh, that? I did answer your question. I said I'd tell you if we get out of this alive."

"You mean when. And you're just giving me false hope, y'know."

"I'm perfectly aware."

I sighed. "I'll get it out of you eventually."

.....

There wasn't much to do. Gerard had loosened up a bit, but he was still being an ass crack.

I was starting to go stir crazy after a while. I dozed off once. I paced around. I did everything I could think of. With a frustrated sigh, I picked up my baseball bat. I walked over to Gerard's snoozing figure, reached inside his pocket, and took his phone. I looked through the contacts, and found Mikey's number. I dialed it.

"Hello?"

"Mikey, where are you and Frank?"

"In a pantry..."

"Which one?" I asked.

"I don't know..." Mikey let out a sigh of defeat.

"Well, could you figure it out. I'm coming to get you two."

"Are you sure that's the safest thing to do?"

"Nothing is safe anymore. Safe is just an empty promise, now. If we're going to get out of this school, then we need to cooperate. Gerard's a lost cause. You and Frank are my only hope."

I heard a shuffle on the other line. "You're not going by yourself, are you?" Frank asked.

"No. Gerard's coming," I responded, sarcasm dripping from my words.

"Rachael-"

"I've made up my mind. If I stay here any longer, then I'm going to take this bat to either his head or mine."

"But-"

"I'm coming for you two." I hung up the phone and placed it on the steel counter, next to Gerard.

Just as I was about to shut the kitchen door behind me, Gerard began to wake up. I quickly closed the door and hurried away. Surely, he wouldn't go after me.

I stepped out into the cafeteria. I'd rather stray away from the shadows, because that's where all of the zombies hang out. If they liked the shadows, then how in the world am I going to make it to the basement? That's where all of the shadows are... And Frank had the bag.. with the flashlight. Before I could come up with a plan, I heard a shoe squeak. I crooked my head to the side, and sure enough, about five zombies were after me.

I raised my bat. The first one was easy. I had him on the floor with one hit. The second and third zombies provided more of a challenge. The fourth zombie wanted to be a smart ass, and decided to knock me down. I fell, but managed to keep a tight grip on my baseball bat. This thing was my lifeline now.

I pushed the tip of the bat into the zombie's leg, sending him sprawling. I then smashed his skull. The fifth zombie disappeared. I guess he knew better than to mess with me.

As I descended the stairs to the basement, I began to regret my decision. This wouldn't be as creepy if I weren't alone. I paused when I heard the sound of feet scraping against the tile. Whoever was up there, really needed to stop muttering. It was freaking me out...

I quickly climbed down the remaining steps. If that thing was a zombie, I didn't want to be around. I bolted into a random room... Full of zombies. You'll know what a real awkward moment is when you crash a zombie party.

I quickly shut the door and dashed into another room. This room was tiny and cramped. At least there weren't any zombies.

The moans grew louder as more zombies poured out of the first room I had run into. I huddled further into a corner.

"Rachael!"

I slapped my hand against my forehead. Really, Gerard? Of all the times to show up, you choose now? Talk about perfect timing...

"Rachael, where are you?"

I got up, and slowly inched toward the door. What? I can't let him die. After all, he did try to save me.

"Rachael!"

He was just outside of the door now. I opened it and pulled him in. It was then I realized just how cramped it was in here. I mean, my body was pressed up against Gerard's, and I couldn't move. What could the school possibly do with this tiny room?!

I waited until the moaning subsided before talking. "What are you doing down here?" I hissed.

"I could ask the same... But I've found a better question. Are you insane?" Gerard retorted.

"I was trying to rescue Mikey and Frank."

"Puh-lease. They don't need rescuing. They are perfectly capable of fighting zombies. Why are you really down here?"

I sighed. "I don't owe you an explanation. Why are you down here?" I shot back.

"I don't owe you an explanation," Gerard mimicked.

"That's where you're wrong. It involves me.. so you kinda have to tell me."

"Well, I'm not going to."

"And I'm the childish one..." I trailed off. The last thing I remembered was falling into Gerard's arms.

---------

Chapter 5. I'm not too crazy about this; in my opinion, it was more of a filler. But if you like it, then that's awesome :). Not much to say at the moment. I'll hopefully have this uploaded either tomorrow or Wednesday. The song is "Scream" by Misfits <3