Chapter 2

I sat a random chair up right, and forced Matt into it. He was clutching his neck.

"Let me see it," I whispered, gently moving his hand away. There was a gash in his neck that wasn't bleeding, but turning a whitish color. "Holy..."

I was examining his neck when a low moan filled the room. In the principal's private room, I saw about five more creatures, coming toward us.

"Leave me behind," Matt pleaded. "I'll slow you down..."

"No. We have to go back for Mimi."

Despite his protests, I pulled him up and dragged him out of the office. We were going super slow, but the creatures were slower.

We were walking past the drama room, on the other side of school, when I noticed Matt go limp. He collapsed on the floor, and I knew he couldn't go on. I quickly scanned the room for creatures before dragging Matt into the room.

We made our way over to the door by the stage. It was the entrance to a secret room; more like a room between two rooms. Since I was pretty familiar with the drama room, I knew that the door opens from the outside and automatically locks when closed. Seeing as there were vicious creatures on our tails, I figured this wa just what we needed. I closed the door just as I heard moaning.

The creatures beat against the door with their bodies, furniture, and anything else they could find. They weren't smart enough to actually open the door, so I guess we were safe.

I sat in the far corner with Matt, just to be safe.

"How's the wound?" I asked.

"Hurts like a bitch," he hissed. "What do you think those things are?"

I shrugged. "Vampires...?"

"Funny."

It was quiet for a while.

"Rachael," Matt whispered.

"Yeah?"

"In case I don't make it out of here, I want to tell you something."

"What?"

"Don't go down without a fight."

"Oh." I could feel my face turning several different shades of red and pink. I was almost certain Matt was just about to confess his undying love for me. I guess life isn't like every other cliche novel you read.

I swore. Loudly, if I may add. "We didn't go back for Mimi!" I yelled, getting up.

"Rachael, there's nothing you can do. It's pitch black outside. She's as good as dead..."

"I promised!" Tears of frustration were streaming down my cheeks at a rapid pace.

"I know. I'm sure she understands," Matt cooed.

"How can you talk about her like she's already dead?" I yelled back in response.

"It's better to assume that than wander out there like an idiot and get yourself killed!" Matt shot back.

I was taken back by his outburst. It didn't hold me back, though. "Never assume things in a situation like this, Matt. Never." I lowered my voice to sound ominous. "I can't believe you'd go against your word. You're betraying Mimi. I have to put my mind at rest. If I don't go for her, then I'll always have these 'what if' questions floating around in my head. I need to go."

"Well, what if she's not in the pit?"

"I'll find her."

Matt chuckled, must to my dismay. "How, Rachael? Do you know how big this school is? You'll never find her easily. And frankly, I don't think that baseball bat of your's will help you take on a whole mob."

"I have to try."

Matt stood up. "I won't let you."

Now, it was my turn to laugh. "I don't think you're in any condition to stop me."

"I'm not letting you go," Matt repeated defiantly.

"Why not?"

"I can't sit here and wait for you to come back, because you might not."

"Why would you care?" I retorted.

"I'm-" he interrupted himself by crying out in pain

"Matt?"

He clutched the side of his neck. "R-Rachael..." he gasped. "Take that bat... I don't know what's happening, but it's not good."

"What are you talking about?" I barely managed to whisper.

"I... I think I'm turning."

"Turning? Turning into what?"

"Them. Rachael, if I try to harm you in any way, you need to take that baseball bat."

"No, Matt. You don't know what you're talking about..." By now, tears were streaming down my face, again. "No..."

"Rachael, promise me that you won't let me hurt you."

Reluctantly, I nodded. "I promise."

"And one more thing?"

"What?"

"I... I really like you, Rachael. I always did..."

"Why did you choose now to tell me?"

"I wanted to tell you before I-"

"No! Do not say it, Matt," I snapped.

He chuckled. "I always admired your optimism..." With that, his body went limp.

"No..." I whispered. "Matt. Matt, wake up!"

He remained motionless. Eventually, the zombies left and I was left to wallow in peace. A moan emitted from the body next to me.

"Matt?"

He sat up and looked around. It seemed as if he was in a trance. His eyes locked on me and I was on the floor instantly.

"Matt, stop!" I cried, shooting my hands up to stop his attempt at eating my brains out. When I managed to push him off of me, I grabbed the bat. He glared up at me as I raised the baseball bat above my head. "I'm sorry..."

I constantly reminded myself that Matt was long gone. What I just killed was a monster, and Matt would've wanted it no other way.

Drip, Drip. I stopped and listened. I could hear feet dragging against the floor. A low whimper escaped my lips. The feet stopped, then continued moving toward the room I was in. I think my heart stopped as the door opened.

-------

Still no MCR? Damn, I thought that MCR came in at this chapter XD. Okay, they're DEFINITELY in the next chapter. I'm not bullshitting you this time. Erm, should I upload it today? Maybe later on, I think it needs a little work. x{. I'll reread it and judge. Comments? Reviews? What do you guys think this time?