Chapter 10

EARLY SUNSETS

Chapter 10

Gerard called Ray as soon as I got on the highway.

"Ray, which mall are you at?" Gerard asked. After a brief silence, Gerard said, "Okay, we'll be there. Hang on."

.....

"You said they were in the music store, right?" I asked, as I pulled up in front of the mall. "On the second floor?"

Gerard nodded. "I guess we better get out and get this over with."

"I can't just drive through the mall?" I asked.

Gerard gave me a look that said, "What do you think?"

I sighed. "All right. I'm staying in the car, though. I don't trust these fucking zombies. Besides, I've always wanted to be a getaway driver."

"I'll stay with you," Frank offered.

"Why?" Gerard asked a little too quickly.

"Well, you have the gun, so you have to go. And Rachael can't stay here by herself," Frank answered back.

"Makes sense..." I muttered.

"C'mon, Gerard," Mikey said. "Let's get it over with."

"Yeah..." Gerard said absentmindedly.

As soon as they left, I turned to Frank, who was grinning from ear to ear. "Why did you really want to stay?" I asked.

"What? I just wanted to hang out my bestest friend in the whole, wide world!"

"Cut the shit, Frank," I snapped.

"Well, I didn't want to fight any zombies right this minute."

"And...?"

"I saw you and Gerard hugging!"

"Yeah, so?"

"It's obvious you two are smitten."

"Frank, I don't like Gerard."

"Liar. I see the way you look at him." Frank smiled smugly. "You two are going to fuck. Mark my words..."

"Yeah, okay," I muttered sarcastically.

We sat in silence for quite a while. Then, in the corner of my eye, I noticed slight movement. That slight movement turned into a bunch of movement.

"Frank..."

"Hm?"

"Zombies!!!" I yelled. Probably not smartest thing to say, but I was still shaken up from my parents' letter.

"Drive!"

I was frozen.

"Move over," Frank ordered.

I pressed up against the door as much as I could. Frank quickly hopped from the backseat and right onto my lap.

I yelped.

"Well, I told you to move."

He put the car in drive, and floored the gas.

"We're not leaving them, are we?" I asked.

"Nah. I just plan on driving in a circle until the zombies stop following us."

"Sounds full-proof."

.....

And so that's what we did. Drove around until we saw a group of people run out of the mall. Frank skillfully pulled up next to them, and they piled in. I noticed four unfamiliar faces rather than two.

"I thought you were picking up two people..." I said to Mikey.

"I thought so, too," he replied.

"Turns out, there were two other people hiding with Bob and Ray," Gerard explained. He gestured to the people beside him. "This is Bob, and that's Ray." Bob had blonde hair and a lip ring, while Ray had an epic afro.

"And this is Iris and Stevie," Ray said, gesturing to the two people in the last row of seats. Iris had caramel colored skin, light brown eyes, and electric blue hair. Stevie had tan skin, green eyes, and curly brown hair.

"So where to?" Frank asked.

"We have to go back for Jade," Mikey said.

I cringed. "Yeah..."

.....

By the time we got back to Main Street, the sun was just starting to set.

"You guys think she's still alive?" Frank asked, stopping in front of the store.

I shook my head. "The broken glass surely can't be a good sign... I'll go in."

"I'm coming with you," Gerard said.

Frank elbowed me and winked.

As Gerard and I neared the store, I realized that I really didn't want to know what was in that store. It looked like a tornado had destroyed it. The display windows had been busted in. The door ripped from its hinges.

"You want to stay out here and keep guard?" Gerard asked.

"No. I'm not gonna chicken out."

"Well, c'mon."

Gerard gently grabbed my hand and pulled me along. Inside the store was terrible. The shelves were knocked over. Roaches infested the food. And in the corner was Jade. She looked as dead as one could look. The zombies practically devoured her. I haven't seen anything like this before. Not at school. Not on the streets. Not even in the movies.

Jade's eyes had been gauged out and, I'm guessing, eaten. Her mouth was wide open, frozen in an unending scream. I noticed her tongue was missing, along with a few fingers. And her legs were bent at awkward angles.

I could've vomited then and there. If I wasn't too busy screaming.

Gerard quickly covered my mouth. "Rachael, you have to be quiet."

I nodded. My lips were quivering, but I didn't scream again. Gerard led me back to the car.

"Where to?" Frank asked with a terrible New York accent. I guess he was pretending to be a cab driver.

"We're heading to New York," Gerard stated.

I sent him a look of thanks, before returning my gaze to the store. I never liked Jade. And I should be used to stuff like this by now. But none of my friends' deaths had been that gruesome. And no one deserved to die like that. The sight shocked me. Changed me, even. But in that same breath, it made me stronger. Made my will to survive even greater. I was going to make sure each and every zombie I came across was terminated.

Even if it's the last thing I do...

-------------

Hey guys! I told you I'd get this out, soon :D. I feel pretty proud of myself (for real this time). So I've been toying around with the idea of killing Jade for a while. And I finally decided to do it. I can't really give away what's going to happen in Chapter 11, but all I can say is that Iris and Stevie (my failed Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends reference. It's supposed to be IVAN and Stevie) are bad news. So now I'm gonna start killing people off. If anyone has any good ideas for a grisly death scene, message me :D. Let me know your thoughts, people! Okay, bye now. Off to reply to messages and otherwise procrastinate. Sorry for typos. I'm on my kindle.

Xoxo, sKyLaR <3