Chapter 1

"And then you find the square root..."

I groaned inwardly and gazed out the window. It was snowing pretty hard outside, but I'd rather be out there freezing my ass off. Anything is better than being in school.

"Attention Belleville High. There appears to be a blizzard and we are snowed in. Don't worry, though. I would like to ask all teachers to report to room 103, please. Students, try not to kill each other.

As soon as Mr. Matthews rushed out of the room, the class erupted into cheers. My phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Meet me in the pit."

"Sure, Matt. Is Mimi going to be there?"

"Yeah, she should be."

"Okay, I'll see you there."

I maneuvered my way through the school, which was pretty hard considering the amount of people standing in the hall and taking up space. I finally arrived at "The Pit."

Basically, it was this empty spot in the heart of the school that was set up kinda like an ampitheatre. This is where all the outcasts like to hang out. Mimi, Matt, and I fit into this category perfectly.

"Hey," I greet.

"This blows," Matt complained.

"Why? We're basically getting a free day. This is awesome!" Mimi exclaims enthusiastically.

At that exact moment, the power went out. Shrill screams filled my ears, quickly followed by an ear-splitting scream. My blood ran ice cold through my body. I glanced over at Mimi and Matt. I'm pretty sure my expression mirrored Mimi's.

Her face was ashen. I could only see, because it stood out from the darkness around us. I had always loved those snow days when it's super dark outside. Now, I'm not so sure about that.

"I think we should get to somewhere safe," Mimi squeaked.

"We could try the doors. Surely, the teachers have dug through the snow by now. Right?" Matt suggested.

"I think I'll stay here," Mimi spoke up.

"What?"

"There are enough people here. I should be safe... If there is something out there," she assured.

"If you insist... I don't think it's a good idea, though."

"Don't worry, Rachael. I'll be fine. Just make sure you come back to get me."

"Okay, Mimi. Be careful..." I say reluctantly. I didn't want to leave Mimi by herself. She was the most vulnerable of the three of us.

I gulped as another scream pierced through the air. Matt grabbed my hand and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Will you two just kiss already?" Mimi teased.

"Oh, shut up," I respond while rolling my eyes.

"I'm serious," Mimi pressed on, completely forgetting about our current situation. "You two would be so cute-"

Another scream sounded. It was closer this time. I shot Mimi another look. "Are you sure you don't want to come with us?"

She nodded. "Absolutely sure. I don't know what's out there. If it is dangerous, then I don't want to stick around. I don't think I could deal with seeing you die and vise-versa."

I laughed. "Way to stay on the bright side."

"Rachael, we have to go," Matt reminded.

I nodded. "We'll come back for you. I promise."

As we walked away, I could've sworn I heard Mimi whisper, "I'll see you in the after life."

We arrived at the front of the school to see the doors opened... with snow blocking the path to freedom. Matt swore under his breath.

To my left, I saw the principal's office. The door was slightly opened. I nudged Matt and motioned to the door. We silently tip-toed to the door. Something told me what we were about to see was unpleasant.

The office was a mess. Furniture was flipped over, and random trash littered the floor. It was hard not to fall and bust your face open! In the corner, someone was standing.

"Excuse me?" I called out.

The man whipped around, and I recognized him as Mr. Garner, my gym teacher.

He didn't look any different. He sure sounded different, though. "Rachael, Matt. You need to get out of here," he croaked.

"Why?"

"Something's going on. I don't know what. I feel..." He collapsed on the spot.

Matt helped him back up and brought him to the real world again. "Mr. Garner, are you all right?"

The man hissed. Mr. Garner was no longer with us. Before I could contemplate what to do, he grabbed Matt and bit him. Matt let out a scream as the creature pulled away. I'm pretty sure he took a bit of flesh with him.

I looked around frantically, trying to find something to distract the creature attacking my friend on the floor. I spotted a baseball bat. Shrugging, I picked it up. Principal Puplovski was always convinced that gunmen were going to bust through the door at any minute.

I carefully aimed, and swung. There was a sickening crack as the creature fell to the floor. I wasn't finished, though. I whacked the bat against his head repeatedly. I was satisfied when I heard bones crack and I felt his blood splatter on me. It was safe to say that creature, whatever it was, is dead.

----------------

Okay, so no MCR yet (Matt was just a random name. It's not the MCR-Matt, in case you're wondering). So I shall upload one more chapter for the day. And then I'll get to working on Chapter 4 :D. The title comes from the song, "Early Sunsets over Monroeville" by MCR. Hope you enjoyed :D