Part 5: Winged Thief

Brianna's POV

"Excuse me?" I yelled at him, flabbergasted. I was completely awake after his audacious order.

"You heard me. You will spy on Armenti and win my company back for me," he said, amazingly calm. My face was as red as a cherry. I was so pissed that I felt like throwing the phone outside the room.

"Who the f#ck do you think you are? You are not my boss anymore! How did you dare to think that I'd ever sell my loyalties out?"

I yelled on top of my voice thinking that he might back down. I was astonished at his demand. I did not owe him anything.

"Oh shush already. Check your mail, will ya? I've sent you a gift. Call me back when you understand the consequences."

With that, he hung up the phone. He freaking hung up on me! I ran towards my laptop and opened my mail with shivering hands. It showed a mail from an unknown email id. I opened it and found photographs of me working on a computer. There were some that showed what I was doing on the computer. There were photographs of me sending email. They seemed like grabs from the CCTV footage

What did that mean? How would he hold those photos as leverage? I took deep breaths trying to calm myself down. This was probably a stupid joke pulled by a drunk Burke. Although, he didn't sound drunk. I relaxed myself and tried to sleep, but how much ever I tried, I couldn't get Burke out of my thoughts. He sounded sober, then why was he acting drunk? Who calls and threatens their ex-employee? I had the realization that he might have been upset about losing his company, but that wasn't my fault. I tossed and turned in the bed and then my phone rang again. I jumped out of bed when I saw Mr. Burke's number again.

"Stop calling me!"

I yelled loud and clear. I didn't want him to think that I was scared of him in any way. I held my breath for his answer.

"Did you see the photographs?"
I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Why did you send photographs of me working? Mr. Burke, we worked together closely for 2 years. Why are you doing this?" I asked him quietly.

"Oh Brianna, the reason that my company thrived in the past 2 years is you. I made you send corrupt emails to our competitors without you knowing. Once they opened such an email, their entire company's online system would be compromised and we could access their confidential information. It helped us stay on the upper hand on any deal by handing over their work and ideas to potential clients before they did. With a few modifications, of course. My IT hands are fool proof and I have CCTV footage that is enough to frame you. Those who work alongside my men in IT don't even know what has been going on under their noses. This is just an idea of what proof I have against you. I will destroy your career and put you in jail, unless, you spy on Armenti."

Color drained from my face. I felt my knees shiver from both anger and fear.

"I'll tell the police that you framed me. I will never ever spy for you!" I spat.

"Did you think this only involves you? How about Chloe from IT? That girl doesn't know anything about this and I will frame you both together. It won't be difficult at all."

Not Chloe!

I had to stop this and I am no wuss. I had two choices- either say no and let the police investigate or say yes and secretly investigate to prove myself innocent. The first option didn't hold promise, since without proof, Burke would buy his way through the investigation. I had to collect proof and thus I made my decision.

"I'll do it."

I was sure that I would break rules, go against my principles and yet this plan might not work , but I had no choice.

Even if it is pretend;
I'm going to spy on Alexander Armenti.

Hey guys, sorry for the late update and the cliffhanger.☺ Enjoy reading and don't forget to vote!☺