Part 26: Read Into The Lines

Hey fabulous readers! Can you all sense the climax of this book? If you don't, read this chapter and let me know. Enjoy reading. Vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Brianna's POV

"Files?"

"Check."

"My records?"

"Check."

"Surveillance videos?"

"Chloe is bringing them directly to the police station."

"Why did she have to go home again?"
He made a judgemental face and crossed his arms.

"Alex, please don't start. She came here just to show those videos. Zach called her a million times asking why she skipped work and was standing outside her building. Of course she had to go."

Chloe had seen the videos already, but Alex wasn't patient enough to do that. He'd thought that if he had watched the videos without me around to stop him, he would have dragged Burke to the nearest precinct on a leash.
When he finally did watch the videos with Chloe and me that afternoon, I had a hard time getting him to calm down. Seeing me sitting and typing away on the keyboard with Burke conveniently standing at a distance ticked him off on a wrong note. The camera footage that he blackmailed me with had angled him out of picture. He didn't know about the other camera that the security had put up after a little sabotage incident in the company's conference room. The security company hired at that time had suggested that we have an extra camera put up in the CEO's room and the conference room without anyone's knowledge. Apparently, my consent was taken and I'd forgotten to inform Burke about it. Certainly, I didn't know it was going to repay me so well. Those videos were the only strong proof that proved that I sent those emails under Burke's guidance. The files were for Chloe to explain that no hacking technology was used in the emails that I'd sent to other construction companies and the only explanation as to how he used me was, by making me send emails that were already corrupt. With my lack of computer coding knowledge, I wouldn't have known how to do that. Chloe made that very clear. She was going to explain it to the cops and get me off the hook. I didn't know if this was going to work, considering Burke was anticipating this from our little run in that morning. Nevertheless, I was going to pool in all my resources and give it my best shot.

Alex pulled me into his arms and looked at me intently. It felt like he was still reassuring himself that I was with him. He kissed my forehead and slowly ran circles on the muscles of my back.

My skin broke into chilly goosebumps wherever he touched and I had tickles running down my body. I didn't know that he still had such an effect on my body - just massaging my back, in a slow, sensual pace. I let out a breath, forgetting that I was holding it in.

"If you keep making that noise, we won't make it to the precinct, cara mia."

"What noise?"

"The noise that you made when you left that breath out. You know what moans from you make me do."

I bumped my fist against his chest. He chuckled and his laughter reverberated through his chest.

"And if you, Mr. Armenti, continue to caress my back, then I won't be responsible for the noises that come out of my mouth."

He sighed in defeat and kissed my lips tenderly.

"We're going to win, you know that right? Just because of you." he assured me after the kiss.I could only nervously nod at him.

We took the bag of evidences against Burke and strolled out with Daniel on our side. Even in the elevator, Daniel stood between the door and us, shielding us from any miscreants. As the elevator door opened, we were crowded by bodyguards like a swarm of bees crowd their hive. I put my head down and Alex protectively wrapped his arm around me. Out of nowhere, my body temperature turned high.