Part 25: The Wonder That Is Technology

Hey fabulous readers. Important chapter today! You have no idea how difficult it was to write. And thank you so much for the votes and reads!

Enjoy reading!☺ Vote and comment if you like the story.

Brianna's POV

"Now? Bree, are you sure it is the right time? And do you have this planned?"

"No, none of this is planned, Chloe. Burke is quiet, too quiet. What if he gets to know that I've already taken the records? I have a feeling that someone's keeping an eye on me and it won't be long until Burke comes thundering down on me. Please, do it now. Alex might be up by now and he could reach work any minute."

"How you reached Alex's apartment while on a date with Tim, I don't know. I'll get the videos on a pendrive and lets meet at my place in an hour. Okay? Let's not rush into it."

"Okay. I'll see you there."

I called David and Ellie to confirm if they were still at our apartment or had gone out to work. Luckily, they had left. The file that had the printed emails was at my apartment and I wanted to give the file to the police along with the surveillance videos. I gave a swift nod to the super of my building and almost sprinted upstairs. As I was about to open the door, my phone rang.

Mom.
It isn't the best time, ma.

I let the phone ring and then the call ended. I entered the apartment and put my phone down. My phone rang again, so I took it.

The woman really doesn't quit.

"Hi mom."

"Hi sweetie, we have been worried about you. Your boss called saying you hadn't been at work for weeks..."

Alex called my mom?

I had left him a legitimate note! What part of I love you didn't he understand? And to call my parents? His stalking knows no bounds.

"...here in Paris, but still we have been calling you and you don't even bother to return our calls..."

How did he get her number?

As if there's anything he can't do. Money buys everything.

"...because you have to think of us, too. Hello? Brianna Penelope White! Are you listening to me?"

"Yes, ma. When did Alex call you?"

"Who Alex?"

"My boss, Alexander Armenti."

"Honey, have you been drinking? Isn't your boss Jonathan Burke?"

A chill ran down my spine.
He called her! That bastard called her. I knew Burke was going to push me into doing this work. I hadn't thought that he would go this far. Burke had sent me a straight message by calling my mom - that I shouldn't cross him. Had he come to know about the records?

"What did he say?"

"Just asked where you were because you have been absent from work and then told us the spots we should visit in Paris. We are actually in one of the hotels recommended by him."

He knows where they are.

I plopped down on the couch with the phone in my hand while my mom kept talking about Burke's recommended tourist spots. How? How had it come to this? I had been too reckless. I knew someone was following me and yet, I went and got the records.

If I wasn't so unfocused at the phone call, I probably would have missed the little movement. Through the corner of my eye, I saw a silhouette move. I dropped the phone as soon as I saw the shape of the object in his hand. His face came into the light and I couldn't say I was astonished. The shiny revolver in his hand was pointing to me while he had a sneer on his face. His grayish hair were overgrown, his tiny round eyes were dark with anger and he was wearing gloves. I was striving to keep a poker face.