𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟗

❝𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒎𝒚 𝒑𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓.❞ -- 𝑨𝒏𝒂𝒌𝒊𝒏 𝑺𝒌𝒚𝒘𝒂𝒍𝒌𝒆𝒓

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Astrid spread her fingers wide in front of her face and peaked out from between her fingers from where she lay sprawled across the floor. Anakin stood over her, lightsaber hilt in hand as he peered down at her with an amused look.

The astromech tittered from beside him, and Anakin told the droid sternly, "No, Artoo. Astrid is a friend. We don't hurt friends."

The droid trilled loudly, and Astrid thought it sounded awfully like a, screw you! But it was directed at Astrid and not its apparent owner.

Anakin extended a hand down to her and offered, "Here, I'll help you up." She grasped his hand gratefully and clutched at her aching stomach with her free hand as she allowed him to haul her to her feet.

When she was standing, he let go of her hand and asked, "What are you doing here?" A sly grin tugged at his lips.

Astrid rolled her eyes and said, "I came here to ask you something." Astrid gave the astromech a cursory look before adding, "But instead I found you asleep, and your overly protective droid over here was about to attack me!"

Anakin laughed as he looked down at the droid fondly. "Yes, Artoo can be a little defensive sometimes."

Astrid raised a skeptical brow as she remarked dryly, "I'm pretty sure droids don't come programmed like that."

Anakin huffed a laugh, and he looked proud of himself as he replied, "They don't. I've been tinkering on him to give him more independence and some new features, hence the electricity." He waved a hand at the electricity cackling between the droid's utility arms, which were still pointed at Astrid threateningly.

Anakin sighed and said, "Artoo, stand down. Astrid isn't a threat to me."

The droid twittered with attitude before reluctantly withdrawing its utility arms back into its domed body. Anakin chuckled as if he could understand what the astromech was saying. So, it appeared Anakin was quite a mechanic.

 Astrid could only assume he'd learned about machines during his nine years on Tatooine. The Jedi Order only taught Padawans the basic mechanics of a starship in case something goes wrong with their ship during a mission. 

Curiosity getting the better of her, Astrid asked, "What kind of astromech is Artoo? When did you get it?"

"Him," Anakin corrected. "I got him from Senator Amidala of Naboo just recently." At Astrid's questioning look, Anakin explained, "I'm good friends with the senator. She was there when I was discovered on Tatooine by Qui Gon Jinn and Obi Wan."

He paused before adding, "And Artoo Deetoo is the R2 series of astromech droids, so he's a mechanic and backup computer droid." Anakin patted the droid's domed head fondly as he added, "And he will be my co-pilot when I become a Jedi Knight and can fly solo."

Astrid nodded and regarded the astromech with a mixture of curiosity and wariness. Now she knew where Artoo Deetoo's name came from since he was a R2 droid. 

Anakin sat down on the edge of his bed as he inquired, "What did you want to ask me?" 

Astrid sighed heavily, her eyes touching briefly on the podracing poster on his wall before landing on his face. She replied forlornly, "I was wondering when you and Master Kenobi are leaving for Yavin IV. Master Kenobi isn't letting me come along because of my injuries, so I'm sneaking onto your ship."