𝚝𝚎𝚗

The second birth was much easier than the first

The second birth was much easier than the first. Edmund had been by Phillis' side throughout and, though extremely painful, she'd been more prepared the second time around. In the early hours of the morning on November 15th, a baby girl was welcomed into the Pevensie-Opal family tree. Enoch had found her particularly strange at first. Though, as the weeks went on, he grew fond of Enid Violet Pevensie. Like her parents and brother, she had dark hair - the colour of oak. Her eyes were that of chocolate and they shone ever so brightly in the sun. She was all anyone could ever ask for. She was perfect.

It was a cold winter's day in the Pevensie-Opal household. The fire was lit and the house felt incredibly warm because of it. Phillis' typewriter was perched upon the coffee table next to a cup of coffee. Paper was scattered across the table, Philly's notes scribbled on them. The wireless was playing all the favourite 1940s tracks. With the last year of the decade right around the corner, it felt weird to leave it behind for the Pevensies. So much had happened. They'd lost loved ones; they'd welcomed loved ones into their lives; they'd got married; they'd been through breakups; they'd got jobs and lost jobs; they'd settled down; they'd been rulers of a land that logically shouldn't exist. They'd travelled to a different world, where animals could talk and magic existed. They'd fought in battles in both Narnia and Earth. They were about to leave all of that behind and it didn't feel right. Still, they had another year left of the 40s. Most people, as you can imagine, would be rather quite happy to forget the 40s, but not the Pevensies. It was a decade to remember - and for different reasons than the world's population.

Enid was sleeping in her mother's lap, whilst Enoch slept soundly on the sofa next to Edmund. The two adults were speaking quietly amongst themselves in an attempt to not wake the children. It was beginning to darken outside, but Edmund was too scared to move the children as they could wake up. Enoch was due a haircut, but he'd throw a fit whenever someone brought it up. For dinner, they'd finished off some leftover parsnip soup and it seemed to have tired the kids out. "I can't wait to see them grow up," Edmund whispered quietly to his wife, who smiled up at him.
She was sat in the armchair in the corner of the room. Her hair was pinned back and her eyes were tired from staying open. "When they grow into stroppy teenagers, you'll have wished they had stayed this age forever," Phillis said, rocking Enid slightly.
"Well, Enoch will most definitely grow to be a ladies' man," said Edmund, sounding so sure of himself.
"Are you sure about that?" replied Phillis, wondering where he'd got this sudden idea from.
"Most definitely," nodded Ed. "With my dashing good looks, it would be bizarre if he didn't become the most popular boy in London."
"You were the most popular boy in London, were you?" Phillis raised a brow at Edmund's words.
"Perhaps not the most popular. But certainly the most attractive. Wouldn't you agree, love?" he replied.
"Well, I'm not one to deny that. But were you really a ladies' man, Eddie, really?" she asked.
"I'd like to say so," he nodded.
"And you are aware you've only had one girlfriend in your entire life, right?" Phillis smirked.
He seemed to shut up at that. The conversation came to a lull. They just listened to the wireless and enjoyed each other's quiet company. Neither of them were sure what time it was, but it didn't seem to matter.

The buzz that lasted a few days after Christmas Day was always a curious one. Enoch was always full of life after it, and he always did what he was told. The Christmas of 1948 hadn't been a particularly enjoyable one for Enoch, though. Despite it being a month and ten days after Enid had been born, both of his parents seemed more focused on her than him. He thought this to be ridiculous as he'd been around far longer than Enid, but she was getting all of the attention. She certainly wasn't getting all of the attention, but of course Enoch felt as though she was because he'd had his parents' undivided attention for all of his short life. For a short while, he despised Enid for this. But he would later come to learn that life is precious and he shouldn't waste his on hating his baby sister. Unfortunately for Enoch, he would come to find this out the hard way.