Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I cross my arms over my chest, glaring at Eric. He’d pulled his shirt off quickly after entering the building. He’s rolling his shoulders and flexing his muscles to prepare for the fight. His hard body is tight with anticipation for the adrenalin rush the fight will bring.

If I weren’t so mad at him right now I’d be panting over the sight of his bare body.

But I am mad, so I settle for glaring at him.

“You might want to stop frowning at me. You won’t make a pretty ring girl with that face.” Eric winks, his head tilting to the large white cardboard sign with “VS” in the middle in leaning against the wall. Next to it are ten or fifteen white squares with names on them. You stick the proper names to the cardboard above and below the “VS” so everyone knows who’s competing.

Demeaning if you ask me.

Now I understand why Eric ordered I wear a dress and heels. A proper “ring girl” can’t wear a regular pair of jeans an a plain old t-shirt. Well, they could, they just wouldn’t look as slutty.

I hate this.

“Come on, Anna, this isn’t too bad.” Eric taps my chin with his fingers, tilting my head up to look at him.

“Says you.” I spit, turning my head. His hand falls.

“I know you don’t like this, but it’ll be fine. You walk out, hold a sign, I win, we’re outta here.” Eric sighs, grabbing his cold beer off the table. His long fingers wrap around the neck and he takes a swig.

I only have to hold the sign for Eric and Charles, a sixteen year old kid who’s claiming to be a fighter. Charles’s girl, a blonde girl who looks like a hooker, also has to hold up a sign. Apparently the bet- the girlfriends -also have to be the ring girl. Sounds like a lack of funds if you ask me.

“Here.” Eric holds the bottle out to me. There’s one swallow left.

I raise an eyebrow. I pointedly look towards the bottle then back at Eric.

Eric shrugs, his muscles bunching with the movement. “You need it more than me.”

I grab the bottle, wrapping my fingers tightly around the bottle. I hold it slightly away from me, swirling the bottle so the liquid courage sloshes around inside it.

I stare at it for a minute. Dad and David would be happy to know I’m sticking up for Melissa, but they wouldn’t like it like this. Not with this deal between Eric and I.

I’m suddenly torn. If I drink this, I might as well be submitting to anything and everything Eric wants me to do.

I nibble on my lip, pulling my bottom lip into my mouth. I’ve had beer before- nearly everyone before the age of eighteen has had at least one beer -but this? This is different. I’ll drink at parties, but not like this. Not just two people sharing a beer.

“It works better if you actually drink the beer.” Eric states, crossing his arms over his chest and looking at me with his signature smirk.

Jerk.

“I know that, Asswipe.” I sneer, wrapping my lips around the longneck bottle. I tilt it back and swallow. The taste is nasty, but I manage.

The effects start to take place and soon a warm pleasant feeling begins in my belly.

Eric grins, watching as my pupils dilate slightly. I didn’t consume that much, so the effects aren’t great, but I don’t drink very often, so it’s enough to be noticeable.