Chapter Six: Jewels or Duels

“Ok, Wo Sen,” Amanda asked. “Where are we going now?”
“Rion’s room” I replied. “I gave us the perfect Zhen ting opportunity.” I said ‘snooping’ in Chinese.
“Wow!” Amanda declared. “You know I was there, but I thought she meant with her! You’re a lot more resourceful than I thought, although the guest room is that way.”

“Oh yes – I knew that,” I said, carrying on the way I was going.
“You’re not telling me everything, are you?” Amanda said, stubbornly. “Tell me now!”
“Wait, I need the phone first, then we must go to breakfast!”
“What, we’ve had breakfast, you can’t still be hungry,” Amanda exclaimed. “Anyway, the phone is off limits until 10am!”
“What? And you, President Sherlock, follow the rules?!” I added. “Anyway, it’s 3pm in Hong Kong even though it’s only 8am here.”
“Clever girl, - and annoying, I might add!”
I smiled and continued walking.

***

My fingers shook as I dialled the Bank’s details.

“Hello” came that familiar Chinese language I grew up surrounded by. “How may I help you today?”
“Hello, good afternoon,” I said in Chinese. “Thank you. I’m on a business trip in Derby, England and would very much appreciate it if you could telegraph me the list of my fellow bankers – no personal information needed, other than names, I assure you - from the past 2 years please.”

“Yes of course, the address?”
“Oh, how forgetful of me,” I continued, saying Derby Mansion’s address. “And could I have it by tomorrow? At the latest.”
“Yes of course, there is one more thing I will need.”
“Yes?” I replied.
“Your name, business name and your verified ring code.”
“Of course. My name is Maisy Liu and my business is the Old English Café. My code is *****.”
“Thank you, that will be sent immediately.”
“Thank you, farewell,” I said, before putting the phone down.

“I do hate it when you speak in Chinese, I really must learn it,” Amanda declared.
“Right, ok, to the Rion’s room, then breakfast, then a meeting,” I said briefly.
“Hey, I’m in charge!” Amanda said crossly.

I smiled and opened the guest room’s door.
“Oh!” I was lost for words. “It’s so messy!”
“Well, this dressing table isn’t,” Amanda added, “but this has no jewellery on it.”
“How odd!” I gasped.
“No its not; everyone keeps their jewellery in different places” Amanda sneered.

I walked – sorry, ran – out the room and up to Amanda’s tree. It was 2 hours 14 minutes precisely until she found me.