Chapter Five: A Mystery Begins to Appear

We walked to a willow tree which was completely hidden from the house. Amanda turned to me and said:
“Right, we’re here! Climb up to platform one and enter.”
“Ok, what about my, now cold, breakfast?” I questioned.
“Leave it here, I have cookies.” Amanda shocks even me with how prepared she is.

***

Once we were both in the surprisingly large hollow space she began:
“I call this meeting to order to discuss, well, our new guests and what Wo Sen has noticed. Anyone who objects, speak now.”
I was silent (I laughed once before and was kicked out of the agency for two days).

“Alright, let us begin,” Amanda declared. “First, our new visitors: They are rude, obnoxious and I was not informed of their presence. However, it is not the agency’s place to hold grudges. It is weird though, how I didn’t know. What issue did you want to raise?”

“Huh? Oh, right, Mr Rion, he called me a foreigner, yes, well, he had no cause to, for they are also visiting the country. Before you stood up for us - thanks by the way – I noticed something, a ring.”
“Yes, yes.” Amanda interrupted, “many people own rings, even you do!”
“And that’s the thing,” I continued, “I own a ring because I belong to the bank of Hong Kong – I mean I have an account there – and you can only belong there if you have a property or business in Hong Kong. It was the – “I was interrupted again.

“Wait, you own a property in China?”
“Yes, I am my mother and father’s eldest daughter so my name is on the English inspired coffee shop we run, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that so does Mrs Rion! The same ring, obviously a different code, but the same nevertheless!”
“What does it all mean?” Amanda asked.
“It means....”
“I know what it means! Honestly, Maisy, it was rhetorical!”
I smiled as Amanda rolled her eyes.

***

“Ok, our first thing to do to solve this mystery is to go find out more. To do that, we must talk to Mrs Rion. She will break easily into chatter if we play it right,” Amanda stated.
“I know exactly what to say,” I said. “You read a book in the same room and listen carefully.”
“How is that fair?” she argued.
“Just trust me!” I retorted.

***

We went inside and Amanda showed me where she was going to hide within the library. It was a grand room with book selves reaching the ceiling and titles in any language you can think of. The chairs looked like thrones and there was a massive oak desk placed strategically in the odd corner of the room. Amanda got behind the furthest bookshelf in which there was a gap; probably from a certain ripped up book.
I motioned for Mrs Rion to come into the library with me, where I knew Amanda was hiding.
Mrs Rion left her husband eating toast – which splattered down his shirt and face most disturbingly- and elegantly walked in.

“Hello,” I said, as politely as I could muster. “My name is Maisy Liu.”
“Hello,” came that sweet voice. “You don’t happen to want a toffee, do you?”
“I’d love one, thank you,” I replied. “I’m extremely sorry for what my friend said, a bit too much sugar last night, I believe!”
“No need to be apologetic, dear,” came that sweet voice, “it was my husband, he had no right to call you – well, no need to repeat it.”
“Yes, well, I do get it a lot, anyway, I believe I was stood up for a bit too well, do you agree?” I added, before popping my toffee in my mouth.

“Yes, your friend does have an opinion, very well expressed,” Mrs Rion replied. “Just between you and me, though - I think he deserved it!”
I blushed as red as the lipstick Amanda’s mum wears.
“I’m sorry, dear, shall we change the subject?”
“Yes please,” I replied, before adding something Amanda would later say was almost a Sherlock move; I sniffled and wiped my eyes with my Hong Kong embroidered handkerchief.

“Oh dear! Hun, are you okay?”
I spluttered and blew my nose.
“Yes, yes, I’m quite fine, it’s, it’s just...” I blubbered “I miss Hong Kong so much! I miss my big house and my warm-hearted family, but, most of all, being normal – well, as normal as a 15 year old girl can be. I miss everything!”
“Oh dear, don’t cry, I’m sure everything will work itself out.” Mrs Rion seemed desperate to change the subject.

***

“What can we do?” She said after a lot of tears. “Can we discuss fashion? Do you like fashion?”
“I like Hong Kong fashion, especially the jewellery.” I murmured – still trying to appear upset and innocent.
“Oh,” Mrs Rion’s sweet voice took on a hard edge. “What sort of jewellery, dear?”

“Bracelets and hair pins, but mainly the rings,” I blubbered. “My favourite ring is one that my father gave me at my last birthday. I love it! It looks a tiny bit like yours – have you ever been to Hong Kong?”

“No, not personally, but I know Mr Adley has investments there and I’m here to – “Her voice cut out and she looked like she was about to be attacked by a pride of lions.
“Oh?” I whispered.
“Promise, you didn’t hear that from me, okay?” Her voice quivered.
“Well, I suppose I told you something secret, but mine wasn’t very secret!” I whispered.
“Ok, how about you choose any piece of my jewellery, that I’m not wearing now, for yourself.” She bartered.
“Ok, can I get my best friend so we can choose together?” I asked.

“Yes, why don’t you go get her from next door and if you ever need to talk, come and see me. Is that sufficient?” Mrs Rion suggested “Oh and promise me you won’t tell anyone, not even your friend. Can you do that for me?”
“Yes,” I replied brightly. “Thank you.”