Unwishable Wishes

(Boston's POV)

The tingling sensation that the medicine creates is so satisfying, yet so painful all in one. I'm just surprised I haven't died from all the venom in my body. That many barn beetle bites should kill you right away. I guess we got lucky. Well, most of us.

"I bet the game makers are done trying," says Jonas out of the blue. "The Capitol is probably angry there hasn't been much bloodshed." Hopefully that means we're all on the same page, and we'll know what's coming next. That's really all I can hope for.
Days pass with no cannons, no tribute attacks, no mutts of any sort. The days given for recuperating are greatly appreciated, but slightly disturbing and unnerving. Something's definitely coming.

After the bug attack, the three of us were left with few supplies, meager food options and a low key water source. The temptation to leave in the middle of the night hasn't helped. I'm starved and beginning to regret everything. Nothing specific or directed anywhere. Everything.

"Guys, we haven't moved in days," says Tara. "It's only a matter of minutes before something or someone charges to kill us."

"Yeah," I say. "But if we stay here they will come to us and we'll be prepared." She shoves it aside.

"We might as well split up," says Jonas. "Tara, if you're so against it then leave. We're running out of food, anyway." Tara processes, then nods and stands up somewhat reluctant.

"There's no point in staying," she agrees. "If I do we'll end up being forced to kill each other." And she's gone. Not what I expected. But it's, honestly, for the best and will benefit all of us. Well not really. Only one person is going to live. And with Tara gone, Jonas's chances of survival increase rapidly.
I'm tired, and I don't refuse sleep when Jonas says she'll take first watch. Although it's risky, I quickly doze off under the bright moon.

"Congratulations to the remaining tributes." I'm woken by an unenthusiastic, seemingly bored, voice that echoes throughout the entire arena. "With only five of you left, we've decided to be, ah, giving and helpful."
Yeah right, I think. It must be an invitation to a feast. I'm not going. But the announcer must be subconsciously convincing because my mind completely flips around.

"All of your that are left are in a desperate situation. You have lost your main source of water over time, and no one has any food left." Not a good start. "There is an item at the cornucopia waiting expectantly for one of you to retrieve it. At dawn, a life saving item that guarantees victory to the triumphant tribute. Without this item, you will not survive." I can hear the audio click off and something burns across my mind.

"I'm going to the feast," I splurt.

"No you're not," says Jonas. "If you do, we're both going." I sigh. She has to stay here if I'm going to protect her. And that's when the bad side of me breaks out.

"Fine," I lie. "You can come. We'll leave right before dawn as to be sure we're the first tributes there. The odds that the other tributes won't be there are pretty low." She nods. Jonas lays her head down on my knees, and I take that as a cue that I'm on first watch. Perfect. I'll be able to sneak away while she's asleep.

Dawn comes way to fast and as the sun peaks over the horizon, I'm finally able to take in the beauty of where I am. It may be artificial, programmed to kill, but it's still a space I'd stay in for forever, under completely different circumstances. The orange and the yellow and the red all compliment the sun as it slowly inches it's way higher in the sky. If I don't leave now, I won't make it in time.

The golden cornucopia glistens in the baby sunlight and radiates a glowing, possessive heat that's difficult to pull your eyes from. The light is almost blinding but it's delicate and reassuring. And it's at that moment that loud horns sound, signaling dawn and the beginning of the feast. And it's all I can wish that Jonas won't wake up and follow me.
--------------------()------------------------
The cornucopia is now filled to the brim with new supplies. That makes no sense. And then it hits me. I have no idea what item I'm looking for. This is the whole point; the person who retrieves the item will have had to kill all the other tributes to get it. It's a trick. A cruel, effective trick.

The arena is wide open, and I'm barely concealing myself behind a stubby rock that really only conceals me if I'm lying down. With no other tributes in sight, I decide to take my chances. Very risky, but something inside me tells me it will benefit me in the end.
I bolt for the cornucopia, not missing a beat. If I get there before, maybe I'll have time to look for the so called "life saver." If there is one.

The cornucopia was much farther away then I expected, and as the golden horn comes into range, I'm thrust to the side by the instant pain in my shoulder. A spear protrudes from my shoulder blade, and I groan as I pull it from my back, the pain quickly spreading throughout my whole body. I can't tell which direction it came from or who threw the spear until I'm tackled to the ground. I'm surprised that it's the boy from One, a tribute I haven't necessarily kept tabs on. I probably should have. The weak figure was definitely an illusion, because he's heavy and strong.

I do my best to get him off me, but I hurt all over, causing me to lack in strength. I'm able to loosen my leg and instantly knee him in the gut, causing him to buckle over and roll off my stomach. I take this as an opportunity to keep running towards the cornucopia, but I'm not up for much longer. A second blade, a knife this time, nicks me in the air, throwing me off guard, and as I turn around, I'm thrown to the ground again by a vicious punch at my face. My nose throbs as blood pools from it into my mouth, dying my skin crimson red.

The place where he knife nicked my ear follows ritual as blood drips from my neck. I'm soaked in the stuff and vulnerable in the position I am, stuck underneath another tribute. No matter how much I try to pull away, she doesn't budge. She.
"Tara," I say. "I thought you were on my side." Double pain.

"Alliances don't last forever," she says with a cocky grin. And then she leans down and whispers in my ear. "Just play along." I'm shocked but I do and she loosens her hold and I throw her against the cornucopia. We're too far away for the pressure to have hurt her too bad, but a cracking sound tells me this isn't what she meant.
She's okay though, and she slowly gets up. But my heart stops for a quick second, because she falls to the ground again. Not for a show. This time there's a spear sticking out of her neck and a cannon following her demise suite. No. This isn't happening. It can't be happening.

The girl from One reveals her hiding spot from behind the cornucopia and she steps out into the bright sunlight. Her hands are converted in blood, her face scarred and raw, barely hanging on. This girl isn't a killer. Not a career. She's a survivor.

She begins to inch toward me slowly and I do my best to crawl away on my hands. "Just kill me now," I say loudly. "Get it over with." And I know she's about too. She poised her knife, ready to throw and I brace myself. But she doesn't throw. And I don't know why until I see Jonas. She's not good with a spear, but her aim is on point as she surprises both of us, lodging the spear in the girl's arm. The pain quickly flashes across her face but she doesn't let it stay for long. She rips the point out of her arm, tearing skin and spraying blood everywhere. I know I've seen and felt worse, but all I can think is gross.

I take advantage of her distraction and bolt up. There might be a chance there's that item the Capitol claimed to have in the cornucopia, so I decide to look. I gather random supplies as I search though, knowing that when Jonas and I survive this hell of a feast we'll need all the supplies we can get to survive. There's no hope left as I keep digging for the mystery item. I feel like giving up, and I know I can't when I hear Jonas's screams ring throughout the entire desert.

Another cliffhanger! Thanks so much for reading! Your support means a lot! If you liked this, please vote and comment, share and recommend. Make sure you add this to your library or reading list and follow me to get updates for the rest of the story. Comment who you think is going to win these games! You'll find out in the next chapter. :)

xoxo, Grace