Training: Day One

(BOSTON'S POV)

I'm going to go mad before the games even start if the careers won't leave me alone.
"You can't pick on someone when you don't know their strengths!" I yell. "Jonas could kill at least one of you, and when she does, you'll be the ones running away and hiding from every noise."

"Yeah right," snickers one of the careers.  "There's no way she could kill a single one of us."

My conversation really isn't going well.  No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to escape the wrath of these kids.  They just won't leave her alone; my poor sister already being punished for something she never did.  I turn my head just enough for me to see through my peri feral vision.  Jonas, talking with a girl from 12.  Jonas, studying plants so she doesn't make the mistake of eating something poisonous.  Jonas, my perfect little sister doing her best to stay alive.  While I just stand here, not using my time, to stay safe in the arena.

I groan and leave the careers where they are.  Heading over to the rack of weapons, I grab an ax, something I've used my whole life.  Back in Seven, you started working in the lumber area at the age of 15.  But before any of that started for me, my grandmother taught me to use the ax, her futile weapon in her arenas. 
Steadily walking to the targets, I lift my arm and hurl the ax to the center, right where the heart would be in a tribute.  The blade slices through the middle and the top half of the target collapses to the ground.  'I sliced it in half,' I think to myself, awed by my own ability.  Cheering comes from one side of the room, and I look for the spectators, and find it to be the tributes from Nine and Ten.  I roll my eyes and pick up another ax, copying my previous movements.  I don't slice the dummy in half this time, but bury it deep in its chest.  Oozing grey "blood", I know that would result in a death for the tribute.  I'm relieved.  I actually have a chance.  To get Jonas out alive....
——————————()—————————
By the time I've decided to check out the edible plants station, Jonas has already left to work on weapon handling.  I sigh.  I'll just never be able to catch up with her.  She's just too much on the bright side of things.
Even though we may all have light and dark within ourselves, Jonas's light is so overpowering you'd never no darkness was there. 
She's just too perfect.

I watch as Jonas picks up a knife from the center area and, with all her might, launches the knife to the target, missing from an immense distance and secluding it deep into the wall overhead.

A frown takes over her lips and the careers laugh. 
She grabs another knife from the rack, and I just know she'll miss.  I can't help it; I just know she'll be laughed at again.  So I do what a protective brother does.  I gently wrap my fingers over her wrist, completely changing her stature and position.

"Like this," I say, directing her and in a throwing motion.  "It'll give you more aptitude and competency."  She nods.

"Don't be afraid to move your feet forward forward," I explain.  "Just a few steps forward with your left foot will definitely compensate your position."  She nods again and I back away, secretly praying and hoping that she can hit the dummy's chest, or at least get close.  As she throws the deadly bayonet, I bite my lip, and rejoice as the dagger impales the dummy's chest.  A proud, father to daughter, like smile greets my lips and I, for once, allow myself to be happy.

After her recent success, Jonas seems to be filled with a surge of cont ability, and grabs a good ten knives from the rack and begins to chuck and throw them with all her might.
As a dummy's chest lights up, a knife lacerated in its heart dims it down.  Another and another until all the lights are damaged and not a single target can endure another hit.  Shining another smile, I walk over to Jonas and her face lights up as well. 

Now she actually stands a better chance. 
A great chance....