~2~

Daryl's P.O.V

"Daryl, stop being so stubborn and talk to us! We're a group. We should be able to talk to each other."

"I don't wanna talk to you people, I'm going out to look for your little girl again, and that's all I'm gonna say."

"Daryl...."

"Leave me the hell alone," 

I said while grabbing my crossbow and sheath of bolts and headed off towards the woods. Today I just really wasn't in the mood to hear shit from people, and Carol was always pissing me off; if that dumb bitch had watched her kid like she was supposed to, then we wouldn't be in this mess. Sophia was just a little girl. I vowed to find her because I wanted someone to come and find me when I was her age. I walked passed a lot of deer and walker tracks. But then I came across a pair of footprints, and I raised my crossbow and looked around cautiously. There was nothing.

I slowly followed the footprints in till I came to a house; it looked run down and abandoned. I entered with my weapon raised, and I called out her name. I heard nothing, I made my way into each and every room, and there was no sign she was there. I entered the kitchen and searched every spot I thought she would hide. I turned and found what looked like a small cupboard across from me. I raised my weapon again and opened the small door to find a few cans, and on the floor, there were some blankets, and the spot looked like someone had been hiding there. I assumed it had to have been Sophia. I ran out the back, calling for her, but there was no answer, just like before. I looked over and saw a Cherokee rose, which had been untouched. At that moment, I decided to bring it back to Carol because of its meaning.

Once I was back at camp, I told everyone about what I had found, and they were so excited I almost smiled. Carol was in the RV sulking, so I walked in and handed it to her. she asked me why, and I explained why it was called a Cherokee rose and why I gave it to her. she smiled, got up from her seat, and hugged me. In that hug, she kissed my cheek. I lightly pushed her away as the memory of Eden came flooding into my mind, of how when she would hug me just like Carol had, she would always kiss my cheek or try to at least; It would typically be my jaw or my neck by accident since she wasn't very tall.

"only Eden did that," I thought; Carol looked at me, confused and hurt.

"Who the hell is Eden Daryl?" she asked.

I looked up and didn't realize I had said that out loud. I balled my hands into fists and shook my head as I felt tears ready to escape my eyes.

"None of yer Damn business," I said before leaving the RV and walking toward my tent.

 I was done for today. I didn't want to speak to anyone; I just wanted to go into my tent and cry my damn eyes out all because I missed Eden. I climbed into my tent, zipped it up, and laid down on my cot. And let the memories come flooding into my head.

*Flashback*

"Come on, Daryl, keep up."

"Eden, seriously, slow the hell down...Damn, how do you run so fast?"

Eden stopped in her tracks and sighed; she turned around and had tears in her eyes. I looked at her, confused and worried. She walked over to a stump and sat down.

"I know some of the things you do and how to run faster than you because my life depends on it."

"what do you mean!?"

"My father and mother died when I was 5 years old, I moved in with foster parents, and they weren't very good to me. I was taken out and brought to another home, where I was happy till my foster dad's wife died from cancer. He then started becoming a drunk and beating me. He would do things that I.....I don't even want to remember. When I turned 16, everything was different. He started doing other things that weren't normal for any man to do to a young girl."

"Did he...."

" When I turned 18, I ran away and have been living independently since then, so.....about 7 years now."

"You're a strong girl."

"I like to think I am."

I gave her a small smile and pulled her into a tight hug. She wrapped her arms around me and tried to kiss my cheek but missed and kissed my jaw instead. This girl had been through a lot and had to deal with things she never should have had to deal with. I loved her so Damn much, but I never said anything. Right now, all she needs is a friend and someone to protect her, and that's what I'll do until I die. I will be anything she needs.

*End of Flashback*

opened my eyes and smiled sadly at that memory, a tear making its way down my face. Eden should be here with me, not dead. I wanted her in my arms where she belonged, and she wasn't going to. She was already gone. And I am keeping my promise that I made to myself, never get close to or love anyone ever again.