Chapter 22

Alice Cullen is driving quickly through small Italian roads, trying to get to the Volterra castle in time. She and Bella have to keep Edward from exposing himself, because that leans his death.

Alice begins honking as they come across a herd of people wearing ted cloaks. She almost, almost forgot all about this festival. The only thing truly on her mind was getting to Edward on time to save him.

The people begin jumping and running out of the way as Alice honks and drives through them, the vampire is in a hurry but these humans aren't.

"Why are they all in red?" Bella asks, panicking, she is also worried about Edward.

"St. Marcus Day festival," Alice replies in a calm voice, which is nothing unusual and explains what exactly they're doing. "The Volturi will  never let him get far enough to reveal himself."

Bella glances at the clock. "Five minutes," she grits out.

"Bella, just breathe," Alice urges.

Alice drives up to the gates, still honking in the Italian sports car she got.

Bella gets out but leans in. "Alice?!"

"Bella, you're the only one he can't see coming," Alice reminds the human.

After learning where to go, Bella takes off turning through the crowd of red cloaks. She pauses to loo around and she takes off again. Running and running. Through tunnels, up stairs.  She pushes pushes passed people and more people.

Bella shoves last people trying to get to her Edward. She stops at a fountain and she sees the clock strike twelve and she spots him. Bella takes off running through the fountain as Edward removes his shirt and before Edward can sparkle too much, Bella throws herself in his arms.

"Don't!" She cries.

"Bella?" Edward breaths as his hand reaches up to touch the back of her head.
*******==

Jane Volturi is performing her pain ability on a robed Edward.

"Stop!" Bella pleads. "Stop! Please. Just stop hurting him! Please. Please."

Aro watches her carefully as Marcus and Caius sit behind him, intimidating as always. Caius is the most feared, he is ruthless, careless. Aro puts the law above, he enforced and punished. Marcus is dull in life, he has only stayed for Aro. He has been depressed since his dear mate, Didyme, was found dead in the castle.

"Jane...." Aro says softly, his hands clasped together.

Jane looks at Edward a moment longer before turning her head to look at her master. "Master?"

Alice is kneeled beside Edward with her gloved hand on him as Felx stands at her back. Alec, Jane's twin, is keeping Bella back.

"Go ahead, my dear," Aro says to Jane calmly.

Jane turns to Bella. "This may hurt just a little."

Jane focuses her ability in on Bella. She begins to grow frustrated when it doesn't work. Suddenly, Aro starts to laugh shrilly and claps his hands, Jane looks at her master, clearly surprised. 

Aro places his hands to his mouth. "Remarkable." He studied Bella, intrigued. "She confines us all. So," he stares right at her, "what do we do with you now?"

"You already know what you are going to do, Aro," Marcus's deep, emotionless voice says from his throne.

"She knows too much," Caius adds. "She's a liability."

"Hmm, that's true."

A humming sound fills the castle as the fight intensified. Before Felix can get Edward,  the doors open and a pregnant siren comes in. She bought herself a private jet with the money Amelia left her and came to Volterra as soon as she saw Rosalie.

Felix has Edward up to Aro's eyes are locked on Rayne Spears, his crimson eyes wide as she hums but when he stops, Aro's laugh comes out.

"Kill me!" Bella pleads as Aro returned his gaze to Edward. "Kill me!"

An intrigued Aro slowly walks down from the stone platform and he approaches a terrified Bella, passing by the pregnant Siren.

"How extraordinary," Aro speaks as he walks closer. "You would give up your life for someone like us? A vampire?

Rayne looks at Demitri, who is holding Alice.

"Alice?"

Alice nods, saying she's okay. Rayne nods once before turning back to the Kings. The only thing... Rosalie has no idea where Rayne has went with the private jet. She knew she bought it but had no idea where she is.

Aro glances back at Edward, who is being held in a cholkhold by Felix. "A soulless monster?"

"Get away from her," Edward pants and Felix tightens his grip.

Aro studies Bella, he even tilts his head to the side as he does so. Bella remains quiet and is struggling to keep calm as she looks right back into the crimson eyes of the Volturi king.

"You don't know a thing about his soul," Bella defends, somehow managing to keep her voice steady.

Aro says something in Italian and Rayne frowns. "This is a sadness," he says to Edward. "If only it were your intention to give her immortality."

Before Aro can get too close to Bella, Rayne begins to sing a soft tune. Aro stiffens but stops what he's doing.

"Bella will be one of us," Alice says as Rayne sings her hypnotic tune. "I've seen it. I'll change her myself."

Aro looks at Rayne and she stops. The king nods in thanks befofe he extends his hand to Alice. Demitri reluctantly lets her go and Alice removes one of her gloves and allows Aro to take her hand.
_______

"Why did you come?" Edward asks Rayne as they sit on the private jet she owns.

"I had to help save you and protect Bella," Rayne mumbles. "I've been studying up on my species since you guys were gone. I'm more powerful than I thought. I can control a battle field full of men just with a simple hum and song."

"While I appreciate the heroics, I read Aro's mind while Felix had ahold of me," Edward states roughly. "His, Caius, and Marcus's."

"What did they say?" Rayne asks him curiously as she looks at the vampire ho,sing his girlfriend coos.

"They want you," Edward states. "You are powerful, Rayne. And now the Volturi want you to join them."

"I would never," Rayne states.

"He knows no that," Alice coos and she glares at Edward. "They want me, too, because I'm clairvoyant."

"Get some sleep, Bella," Rayne says as she yawns. "We'll be home in a few hours. The pilot is good."

Ryan goes to one of the bunk beds in the beautiful private jet and she lays down.