Chapter 29: Dragon Training

Aphira bit the inside of her lower lip, trying to avoid the Jr. Riders gaze by keeping her head high.

   Blackout and Whiplash were having a snarl off, which quickly turn into Aphira having to quietly tug her back.  "Put 'em in a cell!"  Ryker said, then turned toward Aphira with a warning glint in her eyes.  "And you!  Go tend to your dragons or whatever."  Aphira nodded, too tired to argue, and went to the arena where the dragons she'd been attempting to train were kept.

   There were four Hunters lined up in front of her, the bravest and the stupidest of the bunch...excluding Jay.

   "Okay, I know you all want to get up in the air, but these dragons still don't trust you, and they still don't trust me.  We will be keeping the muzzles on, and restraining their ability to harm you.  There will be no dragon-riding and nothing that I don't instruct.  Is that clear?"  Aphira asked.

   "Yes ma'am!"  The first three said while Jay nodded, encouraging her to go on.  "Ok, good.  First, we'll start with Jay."  Aphira walked over and pulled the lever next to a huge, imposing metal door.  It lifted into the stone walls, and a dragon blearily raised its head with a yawn.

   Jay gasped at it rose, then slowly padded forward, it's yellow eyes flickering back and forth suspiciously.

   The light blue dragon suddenly narrowed its eyes and snarled.  Aphira swiftly put the muzzle on and clicked a chain around her ankle that was attached to the wall.  The dragon whirled toward her, eyes burning with hateful fury.

   "Hey..."  Jay said in a nervous, uncharasticly high-pitched voice.  "Hi, g - girl."  The other three rolled their eyes impatiently.  

   The dragon turned her head to him and slowly started padding toward him, but the chain stopped her halfway there.  Blackout nudged Aphira, and she nodded.  She walked up to Jay's side and murmured something to him.

   Jay tentatively inched forward and drew the muzzle off, making the dragon purr, and held his hand out, his eyes screwed shut.  After a moment's hesitated, the dragon pressed her nose to his hand, making him relax.  "I - did it."  He breathed, opening his eyes and staring at the dragon at Aphira released him from the chain.  "I did it!"