Chapter 10: Split Ways

"Whip!  Whip!  Wake up!  Whip!"  Fishlegs came skidding to a halt in Whip's doorway.

   Whip jerked up.  "Aphira?"  His head snapped around to the bed across from him.  His heart dropped when he remembered the horrible truth:  She was gone.

   "Whip!"  Mother stumbled up behind him.  "What's going on?"  Whip asked quietly.  "We may have found a way to split you and Whiplash!"  Fishlegs squealed.  Whip felt a bounce of excitement within him, but he didn't share it.  He rolled over and hid under his blanket.  "No thanks."

   "What!?"  Mother cried.  "What do you mean 'no thanks'!?"  Whip rolled back over to see Fishlegs put a reassuring hand on her shoulder.  "Please, Whip, you'd have no idea how much it would mean to me."  And me, Whiplash silently added.  Whip hesitated.  "Fine."  He got up.

   "How?"  Mother stopped.  "Uh...Fishlegs?"  "Since the gift was given by a Bewilderbeast, and it was activated by Toothless, Hiccup and I did a little digging and..."  Fishlegs pulled out a purple-blue vile.  "We mixed melted Bewilderbeast ice and liquid plasma from Toothless!  Apparently, this will split the dragon and human, but the gift will remain, except in both species!"

   "So...what about Ruby?"  Kiara asked.  Fishlegs shrugged.  "I don't know how that works, but it's worth a shot.  But they wouldn't be able to turn back and forth like you can."  Whip perked up.  He was actually ok with this.  "I'll give it a go."  He said, walking downstairs and going outside.

   "Ok..."  Mother shifted uncomfortably, but there was undeniable excitement glinting in her gaze.  "Ok...open up,"  Fishlegs said, raising the cup toward Whip.  He took the vial and drank it.  He swallowed it after gagging twice and forcing it down with a shiver.  It tasted of melted ice and some sort of bitter chemical taste.

   A moment later, there was a flash and an orange dragon beside him.  He roared with glee.  "Kiara!  Fishlegs!  It worked!  Thank you so much!"  The orange Singetail bounced to Kiara.  "Whiplash!"  Kiara laughed, turning into a dragon with a happy roar and nuzzling him.

   Whip tried to relax in order to switch to a dragon, but it didn't work.  Whiplash?   No answer.  They had officially split!  Whiplash backed up, then looked at Whip.  Whip shifted uncomfortably on his feet.  "Thank you."  Whiplash walked toward Whip, then halted a foot away, his tail waving back and forth.

   "Uh..."  Whip glanced away, his eyes closed, and raised her hand toward where he remembered Whip's head to be.  A moment later, warm, smooth scales brushed his hand.  "How come I never was allowed to do that?"  Kiara asked indignantly, still shaking with disbelief.  "You were, you indignant sausage."  Whiplash teased, flicking his tail toward his former friend.

   "Aw, Whiplash, you're back for good!"  Kiara threw her arms around his neck when he turned toward her, sobbing.  Whiplash lashed his tail, burbling happily.  "I love you."  He purred.  "But I think it's time for a new adventure - one that the next generation has to go on on their own."  

   "You do know what happened to Aphira, don't you?"  Kiara said in a low voice.  Whiplash pushed his head against her.  "I'll be there to protect them!"  He assured her.  Kiara blinked at him in surprise.  "Whip especially."  He added.  "You DIED!"  Kiara shrieked.  "And now I'm back.  They're gonna get out there sooner or later.  Might as well be now."