MI: Part Four

Robbie slowly opened his eyes.

Mabel was kneeling on the floor, staring at her compact mirror. The mirror was cradled in her hands, faintly shimmering.

And Gideon was nowhere to be seen.

Robbie rushed over to Mabel. "Where's Gideon?" he demanded. "What did you do to him?"

Mabel glanced up at Robbie with wide, shocked eyes.

"I think," she said slowly, "they're in the mirror."

Excuse me?

"Nonsense," Robbie retorted. "That's ridiculous."

"No," Mabel said. "Where else would they be?"

"They could've run off," Robbie pointed out. "Where are they?"

"I could ask the mirror," Mabel said slowly.

"Excuse me?" Was she crazy? Why would she ask a mirror where Gideon, Dipper, and Wendy were?

Mabel held the mirror in front of her face, staring intently at the mirror.

Then she smiled at the mirror, quickly fixing her hair. Robbie frowned; this was no time to fix appearances. Gideon was stuck in a mirror! Not to mention that Wendy was one of his friends and Dipper was a Gleeful. Who knew if the Gleefuls would blame the Corduroys for the current situation.

Robbie needed to free everyone in that mirror and fast.

"Oh, reflection!" Mabel sang. "You look darling today."

Mabel's own voice issued back from the mirror. "You too!"

Robbie nearly stumbled back. The mirror.

It was talking.

"Thank you, sweet. Now -" Mabel kept her smile, her hands cupping the mirror. "Can you tell me where three people went?"

"Who?" her reflection asked.

"Gideon, Mason, and - um - Wendy."

"Isn't his name 'Dipper'?" Robbie pointed out.

Mabel shot him a glare before returning to the mirror.

Okay, then.

"Oh." Mabel's reflection paused. "Yes. I have."

"Where are they?" Mabel pressed, still smiling.

"In here, with me. I assure you, it's for the greater good," her reflection said. "All three were destined to ruin your future."

Robbie blinked.

Okay, then.

Mabel's smile faltered. "W-what?"

"It's what I said," the mirror replied. "It wasn't going to end well with them in your future."

"But -" Mabel tried. "But Mason's my brother, and Wendy works for me, and Gideon -"

"TRUST ME!" her reflection roared. For once, Robbie thought he saw fear flicker in Mabel's eyes. Then a sigh came from the mirror, and her reflection went on. "Mason is a Gleeful, and so are you. If you try to free them, there will be consequences."

There was a long silence. Robbie glanced at the mirror in Mabel's hand, and he only saw Mabel's true reflection - a reflection of her wide eyes and shocked expression.

"Um," Robbie said.

Mabel closed the mirror with a snap.

"Maybe you can't free them," Robbie suggested. "Apparently your reflection doesn't like your family."