chapter three.

ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ  ]
𝒊𝒊𝒊.  PROVE IT 

STARTLED BY THE SUDDEN LIGHT FLASHING INTO MY EYES, I look around my surroundings for a moment, confused, before remembering where I am. After waking peacefully every morning to the sun shining in through my bedroom window in Amity, I know now that the next couple of weeks are going to be a challenge, as if matters weren't already bad enough.

Heaving myself out of bed, my feet dangle just above the ground as I stretch all my limbs out, attempting to ready myself as best I can for the day ahead of me. Peter's words hadn't been the only thing that made me nervous to wake up this morning — some of the initiates stayed up long past curfew, discussing all that they had heard about the first stage of initiation. From the sound of it, I don't have high hopes for myself... though my feelings of anxiety were nothing compared to one of the other transfers, who had sobbed for many hours after lights out. I am grateful that, at least, I'm not as bad off as him.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot the yellow fabric of my scarf peeking out from underneath my pillow, causing me to immediately shove it back in its hiding spot. I spent most of the night clutching onto it, trying to gain some comfort from the familiarity of it, but I know it's not smart of me to keep it so out in the open.

With a sigh, I move to kneel on the ground and open up my drawer, quickly bundling the scarf in my fist before shoving it to the very back of the storage compartment. That's a good enough hiding spot for now.

As I begin to change out of my sleepwear for the day and change into the workout gear provided, I look over to Tris and Christina. Tris has managed to get out of bed and into her clothes already, whereas Christina has remained in bed, clearly struggling to begin the day. "Rise and shine," I tease, nudging her figure lightly.

She lifts her head up to groan in my direction, her short hair sticking out at wild angles I hadn't even known were possible. With a shrug, I figure I can't do much else than that, so I head off into the bathroom and begin to prepare for the day.

After somehow managing to practice proper hygiene while also sharing a bathroom space with nine other people, I make my way out of the dorms and towards the dining hall. It takes me a few attempts of trial and error to remember which corridors lead to where, but I eventually spot the same double doors from yesterday and push myself through, immediately greeted with the gentle hum of early morning conversation. The room smells of fresh coffee, a familiar scent from the Amity dome back home.

As soon as the thought comes to my mind, I force it back out again, sucking in a deep breath of air to ground myself again. I can't keep thinking of Amity as my home; Amity stopped being my home the moment I chose Dauntless, and it's something I have to remember if I want to have any chance of getting through my initiation. I have to focus on being Dauntless now, I can't be both....