chapter four.

ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ  ]
𝒊𝒗.  A BRAVE MAN NEVER SURRENDERS

TRIS AND I ARE SPARRING, practicing a defence technique that Four taught her yesterday during training. As much as I know it's important for me to stay focused and learn as much as I can during this first stage of initiation, my mind really hasn't been in it since last night. I feel like I can't trust myself or my judgement anymore, and it makes me wonder if this has been Peter's plan all along. Maybe I'm just grasping for straws now, but I have to justify this somehow; I want Peter to be the bad guy again, I need Peter to be the bad guy again.

"Ow!" I cry out, stumbling backwards as Tris lands a solid punch to my gut. I'm a little surprised at how much it hurt, considering it's Tris, but I guess that's my punishment for underestimating her. "I thought we were doing defensive skills!"

She rolls her eyes at me and sighs, putting her fists down. "We are, Emmi. It's not my fault if you aren't paying attention." She gives me a look and I have to admit, I'm the one at fault here...

"Sorry, I didn't sleep well last night," I confess, bringing my fists up to eye level. She mimics my actions, and soon we are swaying side to side as we watch each other's every move.

I notice that there's a flash of unease behind her eyes, and I can tell by the way her forehead has pinched together that she's debating on saying something. Without hesitation, I throw my fist out towards her, though she manages to dodge it enough so that I only clip her shoulder.

"Hm, sloppy, Tris," I taunt. She rolls her eyes, and we start swaying again.

"We're trash-talking each other now?" She asks.

I give her a mischievous look, and she just shakes her head at me. Quickly, she attempts to swing at me, bringing her fist up towards my ear, though I manage to drop down before she can get me. "Looks like you're in need of more lessons from Four," I tease her.

She heaves a sigh of disbelief, but only a beat passes before she jumps towards me again, hitting me in the throat. I cough loudly in shock, reaching towards my neck instinctively before quickly correcting myself and moving back into a defense position. "You're the one that's distracted by something."

I frown, staring her down. "I'm not distracted, just tired."

"You're not thinking about last night, with Peter?" She asks, tilting her head to the side. I'm so shocked by her answer that I pause in place, my hands falling back to my side.

"What do you mean?" I counter. I can feel my heart pounding against my chest.

She sighs loudly and eases her stance, looking around to make sure no one is watching us. She takes a few steps closer as a precaution. "I saw you, at the tattoo parlor." I begin to panic, unsure of how I will explain myself. "You were holding his hand, Emmi." Although I can tell she's trying to hide it, I sense the disappointment in her tone. I can't blame her, and it upsets me that I've let her down like this.