chapter ten.

[  ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ  ]
𝒙.  HIGHS AND LOWS

I SIT BY MYSELF at one of the tables in the dining hall, picking little bits of my muffin off to eat. And yet, no matter how exhausted or hungry I am, I can't take my mind off of the events of last night. Edward's screams, and the blood that soaked Tris' hands, and the way everyone else just stood, motionless, unsure of what they just witnessed... it haunts me, flashing back in my mind no matter how many times I try to forget.

I saw Edward for a brief moment, the knife still stuck in his eye (which I realized must have been the glinting object in Drew's hand from last night), as Tris and I waited for the nurse to take him away, and all I could think to do was reach out and touch his shoulder, just to let him know he wasn't alone. I don't think it made much of a difference in the end, but I can only hope it was at least a temporary distraction from what had happened.

That's what I could use right about now: a distraction. Because I can't let myself think about what I know, or rather, what I saw. And most importantly, what I could've stopped had I actually been aware enough to process what was going on. The guilt will eat me alive if I think about it too long, I know it.

I can see out of the corner of my eye that three figures are approaching, promptly settling themselves in the seats around me. I take a moment to collect myself before turning to them, only to sigh in relief as Marlene, Lynn, and Uriah stare back at me. For some reason, I'm not ready to face the other transfers just yet.

"We heard about what happened," Marlene says quietly, as if she is afraid of spooking me.

By now, the news must have surged through the whole compound ⏤ in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it had already made its way to the other factions as well. Most of what makes its way through the whole of the city is just cheap gossip, made to shock us all with the supposed drama of other factions, but this is real. And I'm scared to find out what repercussions it will bring. What scares me more, though, is the idea that it will have no consequences at all.

"Zeke looked really shaken up when he told me," Uriah says. "He was working in the control room when it happened."

I swallow hard. Does that mean the Dauntless know what happened? Do they know I was standing there, having a conversation with one of the culprits when it happened? Do they think I was a part of it? If Uriah knows anything, he isn't indicating it... so I focus on another aspect of his statement.

"Who's Zeke?" I ask, in the most casual tone that I can muster. I shove a big piece of my muffin into my mouth, chewing slowly.

"My brother," he says.