chapter six.

ᴀᴄᴛ ᴏɴᴇ  ]
𝒗𝒊.  THE EXCEPTION

I FEEL MY LIMBS ACHE before any of my other senses come back.

It feels like every inch of my body is throbbing in pain — some areas worse than others — and for a moment, I don't remember how I got here. My mind tries desperately to catch up with the rapid speed at which my life has passed me by, flipping through my memories like a book's pages, before suddenly it all comes back again: I'm not in Amity, lazing under an old willow tree on a hot, summer's day... I am in Dauntless, waking up to failure.

"She's awake," I hear Christina say.

I slowly begin to peel my eyes open, my vision remaining blurry as I stare up at the ceiling in front of me. I clear my throat and attempt to sit up, but a hand pushes me back down again.

"You need to rest."

That's Tris, of course.

As my vision begins to clear again, I look over in her direction and notice that she has a split lip and a bruised eye. When I turn to Christina, I see that she's in equally as rough shape — if not worse from her former fight with Molly.

"You two look horrible," I croak out, groaning softly as I shift into a more comfortable position.

"You're one to talk," Christina snorts. She winces a bit as her face moves.

"Did you at least win?" I ask her.

"Nah, Will took me down in minutes," she admits, though she doesn't seem overly upset about it. Unlike Tris and I, Christina actually has some natural-born talent with all of this, and I think Four sees that in her; it's evident in the fact that she's lost her fights so far, but hasn't suffered much in ranking.

"Al was here," Christina adds on. "He went to go find Uriah though, since we thought you'd want him to be here."

Despite how much it hurts, I can't stop the smile that spreads from cheek to cheek. Although I could certainly survive without Uriah's presence, it was nice to know that my friends would think of such a thing.

"Thanks," I reply quietly, clearing my throat again, but my mind quickly wanders back to my prior thoughts, and I have to ask the dreaded question before I lose my nerve. "Have the rankings changed yet?"

Christina shakes her head, her gaze shifting to the edge of the bed.

Tris clears her throat from beside me and takes a step forward, moving into my natural line of sight again. "Myra and I both lost our fights though, so your ranking shouldn't change much... negatively at least."