Chapter 24

"WELL YOU THOUGHT WRONG!"

The words rang through Cole's head as he raced down the street, tears streaming down his face. It had been a long time since he last cried, five years to be exact. His broken heart sent searing pains through his chest with every single beat. He raced into the forest as images of Splatter flashed through his head, he could almost feel her silky hair between his fingertips and her soft lips pressed against his. Each memory made the pain in his heart worsen, until it became unbearable. He stopped running and fell to his knees, tears were pouring from his eyes like rivers.

"Why...?" He whispered shakily. "Why does she have to be like Stacy...?"

She's not. A voice inside his head told him. She has a good reason to hate you, Stacy had no reason at all.

"But she still hates me...." He sobbed. "Why can't she forgive me?" He slowly stood up, he reached his trembling hands into his pockets and slid out his bloodstained knives. He stared at their blades, which shined in the faint moonlight.

"No!" He growled, looking away form the knives. "Don't... She's not like Stacy...." His gaze traveled back to the knives, the image of plunging his knives into her heart flashed through his mind. Then he remembered the terror on her face when he had found her at the orphanage.

No, He thought, looking away from the knives again. I could never do that to her. I did that to Stacy, but I won't do it to Splatter.

He glanced back at the knives, a sadistic smile slowly grew on his face. I won't do it to Splatter, He thought. But that doesn't mean I won't do it to someone else.

***

"Cole!" Splatter called out as she walked down the street. "Cole, where are you?!"

She shivered as a cold breeze blew through her hair and tossed up loose snow into the air. "Cole!" She called again, hoping for some sign of the black haired killer. She turned the corner and found herself standing in front of the forest. He must be in there somewhere. She thought. She walked into the forest and began calling his name. She went deeper and deeper into the lush forestry, letting her feet guide her through the trees. Then she finally realized where she was going.

This is the way to Cole's home. She thought. He must be there! She broke into a run, following the path that she remembered Cole taking to guide her out of the forest. Then she caught sight of the old shack. She raced onto the porch and burst through the front door. She glanced around at the living room, but there was nobody in sight. She glanced into the kitchen, but it was empty.

"Looking for me?"

Splatter turned around to see Cole standing by the front door, fresh blood was splattered on his clothes and stained the knives in his hands. He must've been out killing because of what I said. She thought.

"Why are you here?" Cole growled at her. She hesitated, then raced towards him and hugged him.

"This is why." She said as a tear rolled down her cheek. "Cole, I didn't mean anything I said back there. I don't know what came over me, I'm so sorry. Please forgive me!"

She felt him tense up, then he tightly hugged her. "I forgive you," He said. "I just wish you could forgive me for what I've done...."

She looked up at him, their faces were inches apart. Then she pressed her lips against his. His eyes widened in shock, then he kissed her back. She felt him wrap his arms around her as their lips moved in sync. After about a minute they broke apart for air, their eyes were shining with the light of a thousand stars.

"Splatter?" Cole asked as his cheeks turned pink.

She smiled warmly at him. "Yes, Cole?" She replied.

His cheeks were deep crimson now. "Splatter..." He said. "I-"

He was cut off as the sound of sirens pierced the air. Cole's eyes widened in terror and the color drained from his face, he grabbed Splatter's hand and tried to lead her out the back door with him, but she stopped him.

"Cole, if I come with you, they'll find you." She said, then held up her wrist to show him the band. "It's... it's a homing device...."

Cole glanced at Splatter, then at the back door, then back at her. He pulled his knife out of his pocket and began to saw away at the band, but it barely made a dent since it was made of metal. "That's not going to work," Splatter said as the sirens grew louder. "Cole, please, you need to leave."

His light blue eyes met her deep brown ones. "I'm not leaving you again." He said.

Then he swept her off her feet and carried her out the back door. Splatter hung on to him as he raced through the snowy forest with her in his arms, but the sirens kept getting louder. Then two motorbikes with SWAT team officers crashed out of the trees and blocked their path. Cole turned to go the other way, but they were surrounded. Splatter hugged him and buried her face in his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Cole." She sobbed, tears streaming down her face. "This is all my fault."

Cole set her down and hugged her tightly. "Please don't cry," He said. "I'll be fine, I promise."

Two of the SWAT officers ran up to Cole and pulled him away from Splatter. She tried to get back to him, but two more officers ran up and grabbed her to keep her away.

"Cole!!" She shouted, struggling to get free. She saw the SWAT officers put handcuffs on Cole and throw him in the back of a truck. Cole cast one last sad glance at her, then the doors slammed shut and they drove away.