Chapter 16

"Splatter, get behind me!" Peter shouted fearfully, jumping in front of her.

Splatter put her hand on Peter's shoulder. "It's alright," She said, glancing at Cole. "He won't hurt us."

Peter turned his head to look at her. "What are you saying?!" He asked. "He'll try to kill you again!"

Cole's eyes narrowed into slits. "I'm not here to kill anyone." He growled. "Especially not Splatter." He glanced at her, his gaze softened for a moment, but then he turned and walked away. Splatter pushed past Peter and ran up the stairs to the entrance, but Cole was nowhere in sight.

Peter walked up the stairs and stood next to her. "What's going on?" He asked, giving her a suspicious look.

Splatter sighed and ran her fingers through her blazing red bangs. "It's a long story." She said.

"Why don't you tell me it while we walk?" He asked, taking her hand in his.

Splatter glanced at him. "I'm not so sure...." She said.

Peter glanced at her, a sly smile on his face. "I'm guessing you don't trust me that much?" He asked.

Splatter smirked slightly. "I trust you," She said. "But not enough to not twist the truth."

Peter raised an eyebrow. "I can bet that I can pick out which parts are true." He said.

Splatter grinned slyly. "Try me." She said. "Cole didn't just try to murder me, he killed my parents three years ago, and I've hated him for that. Then, about a week ago, he found me and attempted to finish the job. He failed, of course. He tried again and again, but each time, I was able to outsmart him. Now, occasionally will try a few tricks on me. But I know he won't actually hurt me, not yet at least."

They stepped out of the thick forestry. "So he's just playing with you?" Peter asked as they began to walk down the street. "Using you for entertainment?"

Splatter shrugged. "I guess you could say that." She said.

Peter gave her a concerned look. "But what will he do if he becomes bored with you?" He asked.

Splatter looked down. "Then I'll just have to continue the fight." She said. "I don't give in to death easily, Peter."

Peter was silent for a long while. "I think I know what parts weren't true." He said.

Splatter glanced at him. "Parts?" She said. "There was only one."

Peter turned his head to look at her. "I think those parts were that you still hate him, otherwise you wouldn't have told me he won't hurt us yet." He said. "But the other part, you probably haven't guessed yet."

Splatter raised an eyebrow. "Oh, yeah?" She asked as they neared her house. "What part is that?"

Peter looked forward. "The part where you said he was just playing tricks on you." He said.

Splatter gave him a confused look. "What do you-?"

"I saw how he reacted when he saw you, Splatter." He said. "He's not just around you because he's waiting for you to put your guard down."

Splatter raised an eyebrow. "What are you saying?" She asked.

Peter sighed. "I'm saying that he has feelings for you, Splatter." He said. "He likes you."

Splatter walked in shocked silence as images flashed through her head. Cole saying that she was fun, hanging out with him in the snow, sleeping next to him after he was shot, and lastly, when he kissed her. The memory of his soft lips pressed against hers made her heart speed up.

Peter put his hand on her shoulder as they neared her home. "I know that it must be hard to take in," He said. "But don't worry, if you need me, I'm here for you. All you need to do is ask."

He stopped in the center of the driveway, he turned and wrapped his arms around her tightly. Splatter tensed up for a moment, then hugged him back.

"Thank you." She said as they broke apart.

Peter smiled warmly at her and brushed her blazing bangs out of her face. "You're welcome." He said, then he turned and continued walking down the street. Splatter smiled as she watched him go.

She felt someone place their hand on her shoulder, she turned her head to see Cole standing beside her. She shrugged her shoulder, making him lift his hand off, a look of sadness passed through his eyes for a few moments. "What do you want?" She asked him.

"I need your help with my injury." He said. "Please?"

Splatter said nothing, but led him into the house. He lay down on the couch and she undid his bandages, she gently applied the disinfectant with her fingertips. Cole reached up and ran his fingers through her hair, she flinched at his touch, which made pain flash through his eyes.

"Why do you hate me?" He asked.

Splatter rolled her eyes. "You ask me this every single day." She said as she reapplied fresh bandages. "You know what my answer is."

"I mean why do you hate me even more now?" He asked. "You didn't use to flinch when I touched you."

Splatter sighed and closed her eyes. "Things have gotten complicated." She said. "You've killed three people because of me. I feel guilty...."

She felt Cole's strong arms wrap around her. "I'm sorry..." He whispered in her ear. "I'm sorry that I'm such a horrible person. I've ruined your life... I don't know why I even come back here... I should've left a long time ago."

He let go of her and stood up, he walked towards the door. Splatter jumped up. "Wait!" She said. "Don't go."

Cole glanced over his shoulder at her, his light blue eyes filled with sorrow. "Why not?" He asked. "I've destroyed your life, and it's not like you care about me anyway."

Splatter walked up to him and wrapped her arms around him. "If I didn't care," She said. "Would I want you to stay?"

Cole wrapped his arms around her tightly, he gently stroked her soft hair. They stayed like that for a few minutes, then broke apart.

"Come on," Splatter said, slipping her hand into his. "Let's go to bed."

They walked down the hall and into Splatter's bedroom, Cole lay down on the bed and closed his eyes. Splatter grabbed a pillow out of her closet and lay down on the floor.

"Goodnight, Cole." She said, closing her eyes.

"Goodnight, Splatter." Cole replied.