Chapter 7

Splatter stared out of her window, she had been excused from school for the day so that Cole couldn't ambush her when she was walking to and from the school. Ms. Finch wouldn't even let her leave her room.

Well, too bad. Splatter thought, sliding her window open. She looked down at the ground, it was a thirty foot drop.

If Cole can do it, She thought, swinging her legs over the window sill. So can I.

She dropped down, she fell quickly and landed in a snowbank, which broke her fall. She climbed out of the snow and brushed the snow off of her white sweater. She walked away from the orphanage and down the street, towards her school. As she turned the corner, a white van came roaring up the street, it slowed down as it came close to her.

What the heck? She thought as the van stopped. She walked past it, then the door opened and a tall man wearing a black ski mask jumped out. He threw a blindfold over her eyes and opened the back of the van.

"HELP!" She screamed. "SOMEONE HELP ME!"

The man threw a gag on her mouth and threw her in the back of the van. She heard the door begin to close, but she heard a yell of terror and a loud thud. She heard the door slide, then heard the sound of sneakers on the metal floor of the van.

"You alright?" She heard a familiar voice say as he untied her gag.

"Cole?" She asked.

She took off the blindfold to find herself staring straight into Cole's light blue eyes. She jumped on top of him, pinning him to the floor of the van. She pried his knife out of his hand and flung it out of his reach.

"Hey! What the heck?!" He shouted. "Is that how you thank me for saving you?!"

Splatter rolled her eyes. "You only killed him so you could get to me." She said.

Cole looked slightly hurt by what she had said. "That's not true!" He objected.

Splatter glared at him. "I don't believe you." She said. "You're trying to murder me."

Cole sighed. "Just because I chase you around doesn't mean I'm trying to murder you." He said.

"Really?" Splatter asked. "Because I'm pretty sure putting a knife to my throat means you want to kill me."

"At one point I wanted to kill you the first chance I got." he said.

Splatter gave him a confused look. "What do you mean?" She asked.

Cole gazed into her dark brown eyes. "You're fun to be around." He said.

"You're just trying to make me drop my guard." She growled.

Sadness flashed through Cole's eyes. "You don't trust me, do you?" He asked.

Splatter glared at him. "I told you already," she said. "I don't trust anyone, especially you."

"But you trusted me to keep my promise the other day." He said. "Doesn't that count?"

Splatter was silent for a moment. "It does," she said. "But it doesn't mean I think you won't stab me in the back."

She got up off of Cole and jumped out of the van. She ran down the street as fast as she could, not wanting to be grabbed by another kidnapper or have Cole follow her.

He knows where I live anyway. She reminded herself, slowing down.

She walked up to the orphanage. She glanced up to her window, which was thirty feet above her. Let's see, She thought, walking up to the wall. How does Cole do this?

Then she noticed that the wall was missing quite a few bricks. She grabbed onto the wall and began to climb up to her room, it wasn't very hard. She reached her window, which was still open. She climbed through and shut it behind her.
She flopped onto her bed, staring up at the ceiling and letting her mind wander.

Why did the computer say Cole was dead? She wondered, sitting up. And why did it say his heart was torn in half?

She stood up and walked over to the window. "Something weird is going on." She said aloud as she stared outside. "And I'm going to find out what it is."