Chapter 19

“You’re joking.” Elise gasped as they stood back stage while their make-up and clothing was touched up before they went on stage. Payton shook her head and sighed as the blonde haired woman tilted her chin upwards, swiping a brush along her face. 

   “Unfortunately, no.” Payton replied as the woman dropped her chin and walked away, muttering to herself. Payton hung her head slightly before taking a few steps closer to Elise before she grabbed her in a tight hug. 

   “I’m sorry, Payton.” Elise whispered, rubbing her back. She pulled away from Elise and gave her a small smile.

   “Don’t be, I knew it was too good to last.” She responded, slightly shaking her head. Elise took her by the shoulders and shook her roughly, making Payton grip Elise’s arms for support.

   “You’re insane. Anyday he’ll come crawling back, I bet you anythying.” Elise said, widening her eyes as she stared at Payton. 

    She opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by the stage crew telling them they were on in three minutes. They were quickly pushed along to the side of the stage and Payton’s heart thudded in her chest as the cheers and screams grew louder. She sucked in a deep breath and looked down at her pink combat boots before glancing over at Cameron, who smiled enthusiastically at her. 

   “You ready?” Cameron giggled, wrapping her arms around Payton’s neck, jumping up and down. Payton let out a small laugh and nodded, jumping around with Cameron.

   “As ready as I’ll ever be.” Payton replied, exhaling noisily. 

    Payton dropped the fuzzy, warm bath robe she was wearing around her feet before stepping slowly into the tub of steaming water, placing her phone on the counter. She quickly reached for it, checking to see if she’d missed any calls or texts, but she hadn’t. Disappointed, she pursed her lips as she stared at Harry’s name, her thumb hovering over his name. She couldn’t believe he hadn’t called, he always tried to contact her after her shows. 

    She shook her head before setting her phone on the counter again and slowly sunk down so the foamy water was over her chest. He hair fanned out around her before she went completely under the water, warming up the tip of her nose before she slowly rose and rubbed her eyes, staring at a spot on the wall, daydreaming. 

    The vibration of her phone on the counter startled her and she quickly dried her hands before scrambling to reach it, Niall’s caller ID popping up. 

   “Hi, Niall.” she sighed, looking down at the water.

   “You don’t sound too excited to hear from me.” he replied, giving a small chuckle. Payton let out a small laugh before taking in a deep breath.

   “Sorry, I’m just tired that’s all and you caught me at a bad time.” she responded. 

   “Oh, sorry.” Niall muttered, obviously slightly embarrassed.

   “No, no. It’s fine, I needed someone to talk to anyway.” Payton said, smiling for real this time. 

   “Good, so how’re you doing?” Niall asked, running a hand through his bleached tips. Payton gave a small shrug before tilting her head from side to side.

   “I’m okay, I just—I don’t know, I haven’t felt the same since Harry and I broke up. I feel kind of…empty.” Payton murmured, glancing up at the door, feeling like Elise and the girls had their ears pressed to the door to try and hear the conversation. 

   “You miss him?” Niall asked.

   “Like you wouldn’t believe.” Payton replied, throwing her head back, closing her eyes as she rested her head against the tile behind her.