Chapter Eighteen

AN: only two more chapters!!! :)

Karly's POV:

We spent the day doing everything we could possibly do in this town. I was fallin in love with him all over again. He made me feel like everything was going to be okay. That my life hadn’t ended. I just gave me another beginning.

He took me back to the restraint where our “first date” took place. I watched him the entire night and his determination made me giggle. It was so important to him that it was all perfect.

The night ended all too son. I couldn’t stayed out there stargazing with him forever and just when I thought nothing could possibly ruin this moment, Liam knocked me back into reality.

Liam: Karly, I’m going to have to go back to the UK with the boys.

Me: The boys?

Liam: Yeah. Our extended vacation is almost over which means we won’t be able to see each other every day like we do now.

Me: extended vacation? Liam, you’re not making any sense!

LIAMS POV:

SHIT! I totally forgot that I wanted to wait to tell her about One Direction. And now its too late.

“Karly, im sorry, but…”

I couldn’t even look her in the face.

“There’s one thing I forgot to tell you about.”

Her face jumped between confusion and worry so quickly that I t was hard to keep up.

“Wh-what is it-t?” her voice was shaky.

“I’m Liam Payne from One Direction.”

There was only one word to describe her face: pale white.

“You mean… the One Direction?! From the UK?”

I released a small giggle and answered her question.

“Yes. From the One Direction.”

“Wow. Well, that’s a pretty big deal.”

“Yeah… sometimes.”

She started fiddling with a button on her cardigan and continued staring down. I slowly approached her and wrapped my arms around her.

“Karly, I love you so much.”

She began sobbing.

“You can’t go. Ashley’s gone and my parents are gone and you’re the only person I have left.”

“I wish I could Kar, but it’s not that easy.”

“I know,” she sniffled.

“We can always call and Skype and I’ll visit as much as I possibly can. I promise.” She nodded into my chest.

“5,480 miles is a long way from you. 5,480 miles too long actually.”

“We’ll visit each other. Karly, we can make this work!”

“You’re an international pop star and I’m a girl from California who just lost her memory. Tell me how those two things go together.”

She pulled away and started walking back toward the blanket that we had been lying on while stargazing and sat back down.

I followed her and sat next to her trying not to get too close too soon.

“Kar-”

“Just stop. This will never work. I cant believe you lied to me.”

“I never lied to you!”

“What would you call keeping the most important thing about yourself a secret?”

I cringed.

“The most important?”

KARLY’S POV:

OH MY GOSH! What did I just say?!

“Liam, you know that’s not what I meant!”

“No. I think I know exactly what you meant.” He stood and started walking back toward the escalade. I grabbed the blanket and jumped in the passenger’s side door.

“I thought you were different. You’re not the same as you were before.”

“Oh. I’m sorry that I CAN’T EVEN FUCKING REMEMBER MY DAMN GARAGE CODE, LET ALONE HOW I USED TO BE!”

I erupted into a fit of tears.

“I’m trying. I’m trying to remember.” I choked out.

“There was a long pause that neither of us wanted to full, so Liam started driving. He pulled up in front of my house, but before I got out he turned to me and said, “Do you really think that being in One Direction is the most important thing about me?”

I grabbed his face and stared into his eyes.

“How could being in a boy band beat your eyes, or your sincerity? How could it beat the determination you had to help me? How could it beat your pancake making skills? How could it beat every single moment we’ve ever spent together?”

He allowed a soft smile to spread across his face and then he pulled me in and kissed me. Soft and delicate. He kissed me as if at any moment I could break; or like I already had.