Chapter One

• Dedicated to My older sister Karly

     On Saturday mornings you could almost always find me on the beach. Karly’s my name, and surfing’s my game. I was born here in California and I’m going to be attending college in UCLA this fall, although who wants to think about school already? After all, it is only the first week of summer. My best friend, Ashley, and I have been surfers ever since I can remember. We go to Huntington Beach almost every Saturday to try to get some practice in. I’ve never thought of becoming a professional, but its Ashley’s biggest dream. *BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ* I pulled out my phone from my beach bag and saw Ashley’s name on the screen.

“Hey Ashley, I’m on the pier…”

"Karly, listen I’m really sorry but I won’t be able to make it today… my mom is making me go to this baby shower and I have to wear a skirt.” I started to chuckle. Ashley hated dressing up, or worrying about her hair. She says it’s a waste of time and she would rather be in the water surfing. “All right, it’s no big deal. The waves aren’t that good today anyways. Maybe we can come back tomorrow.”

“All right, but you better get some practice in today if you ever want to beat me!” She replied with a chuckle.

“All right Ashley. Whatever you say.”

 I hung up the phone and turned to head back toward the beach when all of a sudden I saw a red blob coming straight towards me. The next thing I knew. I was on the ground and my head was throbbing a bit. “Ouch…” I said as I reached up to touch the bulge where I just got hit. All of a sudden there was a shadow over me and so, naturally, I looked up to see who was standing over me. It was a young guy about the age of 18 or 19. He had brown hair and the most intense brown eyes ever. “Hey, sorry about that, my friends got a wild throw when it comes to Frisbee!” British? Did he just talk in a British accent?!

"Oh it’s no big deal. I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You look rather pale.”

“I’m fine, really.” I started to stand but regretted the decision almost immediately. I felt dizzy and weak in the knees. “Whoa there.” He said grabbing my shoulders. “Maybe you should take it easy for a bit” even though I didn’t want to seem weak in front of this guy, that Frisbee did hit me pretty hard.

“What did you say your name was?”

“Ha, I didn’t. I’m Liam. What’s your name?”

“I’m Karly.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you Karly.”

"We reached out to shake hands right as someone else approached us. “Niall, look what you did to this poor girl.” Liam said sarcastically. Niall’s face went into a shocked expression and he looked genuinely upset that I seemed to be hurt. I jumped in before he could say anything. “Really, I’m fine. I’ll be alright.”

Niall lightened up a bit. “Sorry, I really don’t know what happened back there.” Liam laughed. “Well that’s easy; you threw that frisbee like a mad man. Something bad was bound to happen.” He gave Niall a light nudge and turned back to me. “Let me buy you an ice cream cone to make up for it.” I was shocked. That was so sweet of him to do something like that just for hitting me in the head with a frisbee. Most people wouldn’t even apologize. “okay, that sounds good.” I have him a lame smile and now I’m sure he thinks I’m a fool. Standing came without dizziness or weak knees this time, so that had to be a good sign.

“Are you feeling dizzy?”

“No, I’m good. I think it passed.” He gave me a crooked smile and said, “Good. I wouldn’t want to worry about you falling down anywhere.” My cheeks were burning. I smiled at him, embarrassed, and looked away. Niall started the conversation this time. “So where is the best ice cream place?” I thought of places that were close by and which ones I thought were good. “Well that depends on who you ask. People all have their regular places. Shelly’s Sorbet is pretty good. Do you guys have a favorite place to go?”

Both Niall and Liam looked at me like I was crazy or something. They looked from me to each other and began to laugh. They both had the cutest laughs, but I must have missed something because I wasn’t quite sure what they found so funny. When they saw that I was confused their laughter started to fade.

“We aren’t exactly from here.” Niall said.

"Oh,” Like I should know, I just met you … “Where are you from then?”

“Well,” Liam said sweetly, “I’m from Wolverhampton, Niall, here is from Mullingar, Ireland.”

“Wow, you guys are a long way from home.” Niall stood a little taller and said “Actually, we're on tour; with Big Time Rush.” I froze. On TOUR?! Are you kidding me? Have I ever heard of these people? I’m walking down the beach with two famous people and I didn’t even know it. “So, you guys are in a band or something?” Liam shrugged his shoulders. “Something like that.” He said with a grin. “Actually, exactly like that. Our other band mates are back at the hotel.”

“How many more of you are there?”

“3; Zayn, Louis, and Harry.”

Have I ever heard of these people? “That’s pretty exciting!” Liam jumped in, “Ya, it is. So about that ice cream?” We stopped at my favorite place called Shelly’s Sorbet. The people were always really nice and the ice cream was fantastic! Even Niall agreed. Liam told me that If Niall liked it you know it’s good.

After we enjoyed some ice cream and talked more about their band, known as One Direction, we started walking back to the pier where we'd met earlier that day. Niall had left to find the other boys and let them know there were okay, so it was just Liam and me. He was telling me about all of the boys and how he couldn’t have wished for anything better than to be in One Direction. He seemed like a genuinely sweet boy. Is it crazy that I’m starting to develop a little crush on this guy? Well of course it is! Besides, he’s just being friendly.

We reached the pier a few hours before the sun began to set and Liam turned to face me. “Hey, I know we just met, and… gosh, this is crazy…”

“What is it Liam?” He reached into his pocket and pulled out a napkin from Shelly's sorbet. “Here's my number. Were on break from the tour for a while, so, call me, maybe.” This isn’t happening! “Okay. Thanks.” I stood there unsure of what to say next. Thankfully Liam broke the silence. “Hey Karly, I had a good time with you today.” Again, I started blushing. “Well its hard to beat Shelly's sorbet!” This got Liam to chuckle and that made me happy. His laugh stopped short however, and when I met his eyes he looked almost stunned. When I asked him what was wrong he responded with “It's just, the way the light was hitting you just then, its just…. You're beautiful.” 

If I had been blushing before, I was on fire now. “Oh, stop it. I'm a mess right now.” I said glancing at my feet. I looked up and Liam was still gazing at me. “Whatever you say Kar.” Kar, he just called me Kar! “Well I better get going, curfew and all.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “I understand. Maybe ill see you soon then.” I nodded in agreement. “Sounds good." With that, Liam grabbed my hand and kissed the top of it. “Goodnight.” “Night.”

END OF CHAPTER ONE