Brylie

I stand in my bedroom looking at the boxed present sitting on my bed. I'm so excited for Anne to open her birthday present and I don't think I can wait until dinner tonight. I hear the honk of a car horn outside of my house. Anne is here. I grab my bag and put my phone in my pocket as I skip out of the house and to Anne's silver Camry. She grins as I duck into the car and she hands me a bag of donut holes. My favorite. She picks them up for me everyday before school.
"Good morning, Brylie!" She smiles widely at me. I know what she wants me to say. I can see her eyes begging me to wish her a happy birthday.
"You seem happy. Since when is school so exciting?" I tease
She lets out an exasperated breath and frowns. I just look at her with fake puzzlement and then let out a giggle. Then we are both laughing and she starts the drive to school.
On the way to school we talk about all kinds of unimportant things. Before long we arrive at the school and go our separate ways to our first period classes.
The school day is uneventful and after it is over I am glad to go home. When I get to my house I write a quick note for Anne's birthday gift. I lay down on my bed and let sleep pull me down.

When I wake up I turn to look at my electric clock on my desk. 6:48. I was supposed to meet Anne at 6 o'clock. Oh no. This is bad. I put on my shoes, grab her present and run to my car. I drive as fast as I can to Olive Garden and when I get there I run in. I ask the workers if she had been there.
"She's hard to miss. Tall, blonde, beautiful. Have you seen her?"
They tell me that she left about ten minutes ago. I go back to my car and head to Anne's house. I feel so bad. I can't believe I slept for that long.
While I am driving I see an accident at the side of the road. A silver Camry smoking and smashed up at the front. At first I think it could be anyone. There are plenty of silver camrys, I think. Then I notice the pink and black butterfly bumper sticker. Anne. I quickly pull over and get out of my car. I make it in time to hitch a ride in the ambulance ignoring the protests of the EMT. Anne is lying unresponsive on the gurney. I didn't notice my own tears until then. Before I know it I am sobbing hysterically into my hands. Through my gasps I manage to get out two words,
"Happy Birthday."

I wake up from my nightmare with a gasp. I turn my head and look at my clock. 5:42. I better head out. I don't want to be late for Annes birthday dinner.