CHAPTER FOURTEEN: HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

One week had gone by after the fatal confrontation. Rhea had received no phone calls since that day and she convinced herself that she was glad. It was what she had wanted all along. Then she wondered why she was sitting next to the phone and checking more than hundred times whether it was working or not.

It was not as if she was wishing for him to call her. She was just surprised he had finally given up on her. When he had promised he would never let her go. Although she deserved it, she knew. She did not know why she was having second thoughts. It was better to keep things as they were; she had managed to destroy everything she had without much help from others.

Even Zoey was avoiding her and Rhea no longer knew what to think. It would seem that she had been right to assume that every relationship of hers was borrowed from Adam’s account. She was such a pathetic person that she had to borrow from someone else’s friendship.

But it was better that way, she told herself for the umpteenth time holding her coffee mug in both hands staring sordidly at the phone. The silence was killing her; it was so damn obvious. She knew he would not be calling her again and she had refrained from stepping out of her apartment ever since she had fought with Adam.

She was still apprehensive about meeting the Coopers and the Crightons; she just knew that they would blame her for everything and side up with their son. They would never understand that it had been her only choice; she had not meant to destroy Adam like that. But she had been left with only that option especially when he had started playing games. It had been dangerous. Dangerous because she had been on the verge on giving up to him. Of believing in unconditional love.

It would have been a fatal mistake; she would have been dependent on him for her every happiness. And that would not do. She, Rhea Palmer was a loner. She would now move to New York and make her own life. Her own relationships. Her own friends. No more borrowing; no more dependence.

Even if she regretted the words she had said to Adam, it was the only way she had to be able to break free from his hold on her. He loved her too much to let her go on her own. Now that she was the guilty party, no one else would stop her from making her own path. From taking her own flight.

Except she was not feeling too good about herself. She should not have said those words to Adam. Since she had definitely not meant them. And she had a feeling that he would never forgive her for the ultimate blow she had delivered. She was not regretting of having said no to his love. No, for that she was sure she would never have been able to maintain such an intense love in her life.

She was only regretting the easy relationship they had shared. Now she knew that things would be even worse than before. When there had been awkward glances and polite smiles after he had propositioned her, now there would be cold indifference and denial. And Heaven knew how much she had tried to avoid coming to that particular turning point.

That was why she had concocted that plan of hers in the first place. To be able to break off neatly. Except destiny had something else reserved for her. It was either she lost Adam forever or she accepted to increase his stance in her life.

And she had made her choice. And so had her so-called friends. Neither Zach nor Zoey had bothered to pay her a visit since last week. Neither had called her to inquire if she was fine. It was what she had expected ever since the beginning. They were friends of Adam’s not hers.

That mere fact hurt her so much that she realized how artificial everything had been. Well, it was life and she would just have to deal with it. Just like she had done all her life. Wallowing in her self-pity mood, she threw away her untouched coffee in the sink and washed down the liquid.

Everything was wasted on her lately, she felt like a recluse living her life imprisoned in her own house. Unwilling to go out; unwilling to move on. Hell, she was not even finding the strength to go back to New York. It was like she knew she had done something destructive and could not even repair her damage.